Z car therapy for Susie

orange-Z

I am organising some Z car therapy for Susie.  Her story is provided below.  I will be meeting her and her husband on Sunday 30 March at 1:30 to give her a ride in a 260Z again.  I would encourage any other Z car owners to show up and show your cars to her if you are available.  It would be great to have a short procession in her honour.  The address is 46 Hunter Street, Greenslopes.  If you can make it please let me know (pm or on the forum).  Perhaps afterwards we can get together for a coffee and discussion somewhere.  If there is interest I will find some place close by.

"Susie (ex 260Z owner) had a brain haemorrhage on the 25/5/1996 (18 years this year). She was 35 years old. It was as result of a congenital defect - one of the main arteries in her brain had a weakness that was never detected. The bleed was one of the biggest the Neurosurgeon had ever seen. It left her a spastic quadriplegic without speech yet fully cognitive. Simply put Susie is trapped in a body that doesn't work. If you tell her a funny story she will laugh, tell her a sad story and she will cry. Susie was on a Neurodevelopmental program for approx 6 years and whilst there were many improvements her level of care remains 24hrs a day 7 days a week.  Susie sold her 260Z when we bought our house, it was the deposit.

The medical profession recommended she go into a care institution and the children and i get on with our lives. I rejected their offer and bought Susie home to look after her. I asked her 10 questions re our children, our life, family allena cetc. (including her bank account pin number) Susie got them all right and i knew then she was fully cognitive (we used an alphabet board and she blinked out sentences). There was never doubt in my mind that the lights were on and there was someone home.

Susie loved her 260Z and enjoyed driving it immensely (me too!!) I am sure she will be thrilled to revisit 260Z period in her life.

Thank you for anything you can do to enrich her life. - Steve"

I hope to see some of you there.

Alan

• Moderators

Great idea Alan, a day out of your life will bring so much pleasure to another.

My sister had a brain haemorrhage a few years back, we were told to expect the worse and it looked that way for a week or two, but by some miracle she survived and is now is back with no loss of function, but a totally new outlook on life.

By doing things like you are doing we are reminded of how lucky we are, and how fragile our bodies are.

Enjoy seeing Susie's excitement on the day.

Peter

Hi Alan, have discussed this very important cause with Aub and Paul and I will be sending out a general invite to all ZCCQ Members today.  Plan will be to meet somewhere nearby and convoy to the location and just park up in the street. Hopefully there will be plenty of parking space roadside in the street. Best. Bill

Had a look on Google Earth and there seems to be plenty of parking although it is close to Greenslopes hospital and the streets can clog up around there. Plenty of neighbours driveways to park in though. See you there. 8)

Susie's day was brought to the attention of those present at the last ZCCQ general meeting and emailed out.

The plan is to  assemble between 12:30 and 1:00 pm in the rooftop carpark at Coles Greenslopes Mall Shopping Centre cnr Logan Road and Plimsoll St, Greenslopes- best access is into Plimsoll St from Logan Road, left into Lottie St, then left into Sackville St, then a sharp left into the rooftop carpark. Look for Bill's White Zed and Aubrey's Red Zed.  We will then make a short procession to nearby Hunter Street, Greenslopes ( see Map link below) and park up in the street for say 30 minutes to allow Susie to view our Zeds.

Sunday shopping can be a little busy from time to time so the closer to 1.00pm the better. Hopefully we will have more than a hand full of Z's show up.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=-27.507777,153.046246&spn=0.016405,0.027423&gl=US&t=m&z=15

I hope this meets with your approval Alan.

• Moderators

Not the best of news, a bright sunny day would indeed be better. I am pretty sure Susie's smile will make up for the lack of sunshine.

Maybe go for a short drive to the local Bunnings or an industrial area, anywhere with a large undercover area

The Z car therapy seemed to work.  She looked very happy.  A very good turn out with 8 cars ever though a bad storm threatened.  A little bit of light rain but Sussie had a close inspection of each car.  Then took her for a short ride up the highway.  The flowers from Bill were a nice touch.  Thanks all for your effort.  Our official photographer was on hand so I hope he got some good pics.

Cheers

Alan

Good job Alan organizing this for Susie, and great to see so many cars considering the rain. I definitely got a couple of pics off today, I will endeavour to get these uploaded as soon as possible for everyone.

For now here is one of Susie in Alan's car just before taking off for a spin.

B0A1172_DS.jpg

Yeah it was a pretty good turnout especially considering the rainy day :)

Alan please pass the link along to Steve & Susie. I was thinking about getting something printed for them too, not sure what maybe a set of 3 pictures framed for her?