rod ends and spherical bearings for race/road car applications

Hi guys

In the short time i have been on this forum and the longer time I have loved Zeds I have had heaps of help, assistance and advice.

So I am hoping that I can give something back.

I work for a company that deals with most of the v8 supercar and formula teams to supply most components for steering, suspension and linkages with regard to rod ends and spherical bearings.

Most of the stuff that these guys are using are aerospace grade stainless Teflon lined rod ends, but we also have a large range of products to suit most budgets with a good range of chrome moly rod ends too.

Bear in mind that a lot of these are imperial sizes, but we can also offer a good range in metric too.

If you have any need for these products let me know via a PM, I will try and help you out where I can...

as I am fairly new to this, i hope that you can bear with me if i take a little while to answer you...

Trev

• Moderators

Trev has always helped me out plenty of times when I've needed rod ends when I was setting up my ITB's; I used the minature tie rod end type bearings to operate the arms on the throttle bodies. You can't afford to have any slop anywhere and these rod ends don't. Highly recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

sorry for not getting back to this post earlier, stupid HP laptop has imminent hard drive failure...

anyway, to address your questions/ comments.

Simon: Yes the missus is KT...

thanks to Dimitri for the g up,

as for pricing and catalogs...

pricing is hard, as there are so many sizes, types and applications.

they range from a few dollars to possibly around $100.

to give an idea is for example on small 4mm metric bronze lined (for dimitri's linkages ETC) around $8 each

for a race car/aerospace grade teflon lined passivated SS type say around 1/2 inch bore and thread probably more like $70.

jjust depends where you will use them as to how much you need it to be reliable....

if you send me your thoughts, i can try to help out.

one golden rule is that all the aerospace grade stuff is male thread. most if the other stuff is available in male or female thread.

if you want more info on sizes:

http://www.linearbearings.com.au/Portals/0/Rod%20End%20Brochure%20.pdf

this should help.

hey Simon, no probs, let me know when you want to drop in.

1600Dave: 9/10 times you are limited in size and type by the bolt that will go through the eye and the thread type used in this assembly unless you want to re-engineer the part.

what i can tell you from this is it looks to be a male rod end with high angular capacity. there are 2 ways of achieving this either by a rod end with a specific ball type for high misalignment capacity or by using a standard one and putting spacers on either side of the ball. in essence i would try to fit in the biggest rod end you can with highest spec for load. then it comes down to budget too. wouldnt use anything less than chro-moly or high strength SS in this application. if you want the top end then design up a imperial thread to be used then you can put in the aerospace grade rod end like all the V8 guys do.