Watanabe Type-R price and availabilties

Toecutter

thanks alot NZeder, i actully emailed them and they are going to mail me a broshure so that will be here soon enough! for 9" i was quoted 17 x 8"

$870 each & 17 x 9" $920 each, they dont do half sizes in the width, can do any offset, and then $110 per wheel for shipping (all prices in NZ dollar)

so would end up being around $3500, and personally i dont think they are worth nearly double some ROH wheels, and if i were to go to that price range it opens up the window to all the jap 3 peice rims like the nice ones gav posted, or

01.jpg

which you can get in 17X9 -6 and 17X10 +6, would these clear normal susspension and fit under the flares? they also have 17X8 - 6.

The watanbe person said they dont make any negative offset rims in 17", but would 0 offset fit ok? (assuming they make them ofcourse)

sulio do think you're wheel size is pretty spot on or would you get them slightly different if you were to get them again?

I'm very happy with my size and offset. There is nothing different I would do. Wheels and tyres clear the stock suspension easily.

Below is a very common offset the guys that get 16" wats use;

16x8.5 offset -6 (or 16x9, -13) at the front, and 16x9.5 with -19 at the back

Looking at the above rear choice is simple enough to make if you want to go 17, and that is 17x9.5 -19 which fits fine and looks nice.

The front choice however taking into account the above watanabe proven combos is, do you go for 17x8.5 offset -6 or 17x9, -13?

I chose the first which is the 8.5 wide wheel with -6 offset. I reckon the 2nd choice 9" would have given me some major head aches to find suitable tyres with reasonable tyre height/rolling dia to mach rear choice and not look like a drag car. Just remeber at 17" you can't stretch the tyres as much as 16" so there are more limitations in certain respects however the tyre availability is huge compared to 16's.

My fronts 17x8.5 -6 and rear are 17x9.5 -19. I figured the fronts can always be pumped out by a thin 10mm spacer if I want to but they sit fine and clear everything.

My final combo below.

17x8.5 offset -6 at the front, and 16x9.5 with -19 at the back.

I would hate to think I had ordered offsets that did'nt fit once I brought them home! :shock: Man that would suck. Any how just stick to the proven. If you go for wheels that are any skinnier than these the flares look half assed I reckon, like the pick below on the orange car!

e2_3.JPG

Rear-end-with-new-airdam.jpg

and in green Evan...

t_imag1_103.jpg

thanks sulio, when the time is right i think i'll prob b going for some ROH wheels as their price is much more reasonable and aren't limited to the offset like with the other wheels (17" watanabes and the volk wheels etc) but until i buy some i'll still be on the hunt for ones that catch my eye (besides yours)

Hey Sulio, wanna swap cars

Come on its got an RB

hmmm don't tempt me I'm supposed to be doing renovations! :)

heathbruce. I've had a look at a set of these before. Offset is about 20mm off from memory. It would be very inetersting to see if you could "invert" the center so that the existing outer dish becomes the inner dish and you then just get outers rolled for about $150 per wheel!?? I bet it could be done if they are 3 piece but I noticed that even the seller is unsure if they are 2 or 3 piece!

I could have bought a set identical to these for $600 so it will be interesting to see how much they go for. Well if you got em for less than 500 you could always buy the bolt on adapters and run them that way if you did'nt mind the adapters. Would look pretty nice on a lowered Z!

Evan here you go if heath does'nt go for em but 2 of em are not identical!

e8_1.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for scanning that, they look good, but i think i'll wait till i'm off my p's and have a decent income before going for 3 peice rims due to $$$ and p plates :s

it's tempting to buy some second hand watanabes, and i think i remember seeing those ones on ebay, but yeah only 2 of them were watanabes or something yeah? (The back two?) and from contacting the australian distributor the rs8 style (the ones at the back) are only two peice, i wonder if they'd just simply bolt back up reversed if they were 3 peice!

i went to a couple of wheel shops today and i think i will buy some 16" superlites, should look good after the rear has been lowered too :D just need to find the cheapest place hehe

I think you have done the right thing. I always thought the 15x7 Superlites looked pretty good so the 16's should look awesome. I don't think I've seen a Z with the 16 inch superlites yet.

I know the 16x7 will be a great fit for the front. I wonder if there is a possibility of fitting 16x8 on the rear? If they could fit with stock suspension perch it would look pretty good.

I used to have 15x7 superlights with 225/55's on the rear. Can't remember offset but it was about 5mm from tyre to spring perch and there was'nt much room left from tyre to inner guard lip either so 8 inch would be tough to fit but i would do a bit of homework either way just to be sure coz the 8 inch wheel would give a nice little dish on the back!

I do remember the tyre combo in 15's was front 205x60 and rear 225x55. This combo gives you same rolloing diameter front and back.

I reckon a good Z tyre combo for 16's is 205x50 for the front and 225x45 for the rear if they come in that config!??

205x50x16 gives you a tyre wall height of 102.5mm for the front.

225x45x16 gives you a tyre wall hieght of 101.25 for the rear.

So 1 inch equals 25.4mm. 16 inch wheel is 406.4mm diameter.

So your your 406.4 and 2 x tyre wall heights of say 102mm gives you a rolling diameter of 610.4mm.

Can't remember what the stock rolling diameter is anyhow the above is just me typing aloud. My point to some of the above is alot of people have told me that it can be difficult finding tyres to suit your budget in 16 inch size so before you commit to these wheels work out what size tyres you will need and check for availabilty and pricing. Might be being a bit cauitious but does'nt hurt to check and know where you stand. Buying wheels for your car is one of the most enjoyable cosmetic purchases for your car I reckon, good fun shopping for em and they change the cars character so much once you put em on, especially if lowered. Can't wait to see them on the car Evan. Happy hunting!

i'd love to get rs8 watanabes with a black centre in 16", but not enough to pay the price new for them, and they'd end up prob being more expensive than these ones are new, although imho they do look a bit better.

350 is a pretty good price for a pair, just advertise them as two seperate pairs on a silvia forum.

rb30zed on classiczcars has 16" (X7 i think) panasports on his car and is running 225/50 on the back and 205/55 on the front. the wheel place i went to recommended 205/55, and i called that place in tullamarine and they said they have both sizes in stock, for about the same price as i buy my 14" ones from them for so seems good to me. i got my dad to call performace wheels in regards to his company buying the wheels directly from them and they said they only sell to wheel shop :( we generally manage to get trade but ohwell, i'll get hunting around between assignments, just finished one so needa a break, but have others due to soon....since i dont think i'll bother getting brand new rubber from the shops i dont think there will be much $$$ off they places will do, so far i've found one place thats $120 cheaper than the other so even hopefully i can find one cheaper again!