Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey all,

 

I recently accidentally picked up an '82 280ZX 2+2 the other week. I have been perusing the forum for some time and you all seem a friendly group of gents, who can coincidentally help me with my Z car woes in little Adelaide town.

 

I was in line to buy a Fiat X1/9 '80, but luckily that fell through and I avoided buying a car that, in hindsight, would have been more than a handful to maintain and drive, especially in the Adelaide Hills winter. Luckily, I saw my Z online, went to see it the same day and subsequently purchased it after taking it for a spin. It was love at first sight :)

 

Ideally, in an ideal world, I'd eventually like to own an older, truer Z car, but the 280ZX more than solves my quater life crisis. Alas, being a university student leaves little money for starting a more ambitious project, even though I have the space at home and the time.

 

I joined the forum to find parts, learn from my fellow Z-car enthusiasts and hopefully bring the Z up to scratch.

 

The old girl is mostly mechanically sound so far, but she needs a major superficial overhaul. The original paint is still intact, but not wearing its age so well. The same goes for most of the interior. Luckily a friend is quite handy at restorative paint jobs, now I just have to wait until we both have the time.

 

One of the things I am curious about is what you all would recommend I replace the stock radiator with and how I would go about acquiring said replacement. I’ve thought about reconditioning it, as it is more silicone than anything else at this stage, but I would also consider performance enhancing options. I’m not sure at this stage, but something needs to be done soon, I think. Nervously eyeing the temperature gauge every other minute does not make for enjoyable driving.

 

At any rate, I'm sure it will be a pleasure, both talking to you all, and getting to know my Z  :)

 

  • Administrators
Posted

Welcome, I've heard not so good things about the Fiat X1/9 although they look cool. Then again you can't always judge a car like that, sometimes people to parrot what they have heard from others without finding out for themselves.

 

Anyhow in terms of replacement I'd say it's common enough that you would be able to go down to radiator specialist and find a replacement. Either that or visit a junk yard. You never know you might find a car that had a new radiator fitted not long before it was wrecked. Could say some of those student pennies. Been there, done that. ;)

Posted

Welcome  :)

post some pics when you get a chance.

 

Is it just me, or are there growing numbers of 280ZX fans?

Once you  have driven them, they really grow on you. Wouldn't sell mine to buy an earlier Z.

 

Posted

Welcome, I've heard not so good things about the Fiat X1/9 although they look cool. Then again you can't always judge a car like that, sometimes people to parrot what they have heard from others without finding out for themselves.

 

Oh yeah, they look great, handle well, etc (though they mostly have tiny 1.5Ls in them), but I think I would have killed myself using one for a daily drive around my area. They rust at the drop of a hat, literally, it's inbelievable! The first one I drove was hugely rusted. Also, with those tiny tires, no downforce and weighing about 900kg they also apparently aquaplane very easily in the wet. I drove 2, one '78 and one '80, and they were not bad to drive, quite fun to throw into corners, but it was so tiny. The pedals seem to be a few centimeters apart, not so good for those of us with wide feet. Definately not a tall man's car, or one to take on long cruises. Also, being mid-engine, there are all sorts of delicate cooling pipes runing under the cars in un-modded variants that wouldn't really survive long on the rough roads near home, nevermind my 200m or so gravel driveway. That car would have caused alot of trouble, methinks. Needless to say, I dodged a bullet there, haha :)

Posted

Also, cheers for the advice, Gav :)

 

And yes, I wouldn't dream of selling mine anytime in the near future, bar the unforseen. My lady friend is already worried about how much time i spend with that car.

 

I'll post some pictures as soon as I take some.

 

Thanks guys :)

Posted

welcomeJDSM :)

theres a few of us here in Adelaide, getting together on the 29th Jan, come along an meet up ;)

 

Bugger, I'll be taking the Z down to Middleton for the week on the 29th, but let me know when the next meet is :)

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...