Engine stand. What size.

Bigfella

I am looking at getting an engine stand. I am thinking that the z engine will be stored on this. So it could be there for a while.

I'm curious what experience people have had with their stands.

Most places advertise their heavy duty stands @ around 500kg, is this enough.

I found http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Engine-Stand-Auto-Car-Hoist2000-lb-Foldable-Heavy-Duty-/170516782190?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories this and it is rated at 900kg. Do you think it is over kill. or do you think I would be just as well off as with a $90 super cheap.

Thanks

hey Bigfella

i have a rb30 sitting on a 500kg cheap ebay engine stand for over 2 months now and havent had a problem, easy to move around etc

Also used 2 cheap 500kg engine stand to make my rotisserie

so weight wouldnt be a problem

Loui

Hey mate, check out your local engineering supplier, they should stock a range of engine stands that will do the job and be a lot less than the ebay one. I think I paid $80 or so for my stand.

Great tip. I will have to fine my local Engineering supplier.

I too have 2 of the supercheap items. One has had my L28 on there also since 2008 and the other my RB from late 2008 also. I recommend the 4 wheel version for easy of movement. The ones I have are like the 3 wheel version but have an extra bar at the front that hold the 2 front wheels. Not as easy to store stuff under the stand/engine as the 3 wheelers or the larger 4 wheelers (which have a U shape setup) but safer than the 3 wheel version when moving around.

If you're planning on storing the engine on the stand for a while, consider getting an engine dolly, or cart, whatever name you want to call it. It sits the engine low, only a few inches off the ground, supports from under the engine, and not by the bellhousing bolts, which means less worry about it toppling over or letting go, and you could also store the engine under a work bench, which means more floor space. I have a few of these for engines I'm not working on, but just storing undtil I get the chassis' they are supposed to be in done.