DAT392 Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 I have an r200 longnose lsd and seeing I am goining to get it pulled apart,as there was metal filings in the oil,is there any upgrades to making them stronger?Not sure what is broken in mine,but presume it may be the clutches or spider gears.I have been reading about cusco and kaas lsds,but am not sure if they suit the r200May ring a place in Mitcham who sells kaas stuff for gtrs.Maybe there are better clutches and also not sure who to take it to in Melbourne.Want a bit more than a simple rebuild.One of my mates suggested a spool.Do they make spools for the r200or is that simmilar to a 2way lsd.Any info would be much appreciated. Quote
NZeder Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 by spool are you taking about a locked spool - yes they are around - I had one once - it was made in Melbourne - can't for the life of me remember who by. The spool I had tied both out shafts together = locked without welding of spider gears - however here in NZ 100% locked diffs are illegal on the road - tracks ok but road is a big no no. Quote
PZG302 Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 For safety reasons alone I would never run a locked diff on the road, and then you have all the problems with the axles winding up and tyre wear and the extra noise and clunks and so on. An R200 should be able to withstand a fair bit of power and torque, they aren't that much smaller than a nine inch, and I have seen R180's used in some pretty potent sports sedans over the years. Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted July 18, 2010 Moderators Posted July 18, 2010 Kaaz do make LSD centers for the R200 but there is a bit of machining to be done. Give them a call and find out whats needed. It can be done though.. Quote
sco_aus Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 Ok, I have an R200 Cusco 2 way lsd. It was from an R33 Skyline. It had the correct spline count and my standard input shafts work fine in it, even though the R33 diff and one longer. Any half decent diff shop will figure out how to swap it into a long nose R200, it is something to do with modifying the bolts for the crown wheel, I didn't ask them when they did mine, so I am not 100%. So.. Make sure if you get one, it has the same number of splines that your standard diff centre has and you can use it. Like i said, a diff shop will be able to do the rest easily. Quote
Riceburner Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 R200's have two different sized crown wheel bolts 10mm and 12mm so they probably made up some sort of collars for the bolts.... Quote
NZeder Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 R200's have two different sized crown wheel bolts 10mm and 12mm so they probably made up some sort of collars for the bolts.... believe it or not but 3 size - 10mm, 12mm and 13mm. Long nose have 10mm mostly with some having 12mm. The short nose R200 have 12mm mostly but there are some with 13mm (I believe the S15 HLSD centres are 13mm as are some of the VLSD that are around) Quote
nat0_240_chevZ Posted July 18, 2010 Posted July 18, 2010 believe it or not but 3 size - 10mm, 12mm and 13mm. Long nose have 10mm mostly with some having 12mm. The short nose R200 have 12mm mostly but there are some with 13mm (I believe the S15 HLSD centres are 13mm as are some of the VLSD that are around) yes 3, you beat me to it, i found mine had 13mm bolt holes (to suit) was from an r32 GTR, I have a tomei centre. There is a large thread in one of SCO_AUS' theads re cv driveshafts and lsd, look for it. back to your initial post, what colour were the flakes? plenty of late model nissan options, kaaz fit straight in as with most a/m centres as the r200 is almost identical to all later models (as Scott said check spline counts AND FIT...) the s13 14 15 r31 32 33 34s etc all essentially run the r200 as well as many others, its just the crownwheel bolt size (dia) output spline count and most importantly the fit even if they have the same count ie not too loose. and also where the circlip grooves are located along the splined output shaft. have a search for the thread I'm talking about above, maybe some could be nice and link this thread to it, mods? cheers Nathan Quote
DAT392 Posted July 19, 2010 Author Posted July 19, 2010 Thanks for all the input.The flakes,metal shavings were silver,majority like alfoil and a couple thicker like a duller grey metal and majority stuck to the drain plug,plus a grey paste film stuck to the plug.The oil had like metal sand,specles through it plus say 4 or 5 more foil pieces say half a centimeter in diametre.I spose once its opened up I will be able to see the damage and hopefully its not too bad and also I should add that the last place that changed the gears for me seemed ok at the start,would not warranty there work after I paid once I told them about my car and at the time got them to put some stronger unis in my old halfshafts and they put standard repro ones in not hardies etc,so maybe there work on the diff was poor who knows.Any other mods or recommended diff repairers would be appreciated.Have been trying to ring craigs guy in blakburn with no luck so far. Quote
nat0_240_chevZ Posted July 19, 2010 Posted July 19, 2010 yes i have found similar probs here in SA, took my r200 open and asked them to put in my LSD centre from the 32gtr, they made a bunch of excuses and whatnot and said they coould do, they would have to send it to their engineer to get things machined, after I told them it needs:- -13.2mm od x 10.3id x 10mm long sleeved machined for the bolt dia difference and new circlip groov machined on output shaft splines, then just needs to be setup to achieve correct gear mesh, ie this is what the diff guys are meant to be good at. Moral of the story was I had to pay the 40$ for me to cancel the job afte they began to tell me it would be a 800-1100 dollar bill, all they had done was send to some random engineer, had it disassembled and that was it, went and collected, gave them a piece of my mind and took off in a shit, and they are appearantly diff only guys that do drag cars and whatever else. I ended up machining the sleeves and getting the ol fart @ work to do my circlip grooves, and then i assembled the diff, with old shimms and spacers from the original centre, but was too sloppy for my liking, so i then removed and re-assembled with the shims and spacers that came with the centre i bought for the 32 gtr, i used these but i had opposite way so too sloppy still,then swapped left to right and viola whatta ya know spot on backlash, and thre was even bearing blue/yellow i could check the wear / contact mark on the crownwheel teeth, re assembled and it seems to drive fine, however I will be removing and swapping out for a quaife or a GKN torque biasing centre similar to that in the S15 and 34-GTR as these things are awesome, ie full 2 wheel drive but full slip if needed for u-turns, nat0 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.