KHGC110 project

BenZed

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice has the JDM tails lights already :)

Actually those are stock, the two-doors sold here had those lights. I have two cars, one is a 240K GT and one is a 240K GL, apparently the GT badge made insurance too expensive so later examples were badged GL. For some other reason known only to Nissan they were also only imported as autos.

The stock export tail lights are very different - those are in deed the JDM tail lights :) people pay big $$ for them - there is a different ring for the GT-R version so you more than likely have the GT-X tail lights.

FYI export tail lights have a large clear ring on the inside light with the turn/amber in the centre of that. The outer is the stop/tail with a red reflector in the centre. Here is pic I found on the interweb

47406962_2-datsun-240k-gt.jpg

We never got the GL here in NZ all were GT's so I guess our insurance was/is different.

Interesting. Actually I just had a look at my second set of lights and they have the clear ring, but inside the ring is a reflector, the indicator is inside the brake light like my on my photo, not the same as the photo you posted.

The blue car was dead stock when I bought it, so possibly it was shipped with the JDM lights, or they were replacements for broken lights.

I heard of someone locally building a GTR replica then selling overseas telling the buyers it was real.

I wouldn't even call it a GT-R replica. Just a C110 done up with a RB20DE, and the chassis number altered from KHGC to KPGC, a fake VIN tag, and some bs about it being a left over GT-R shell that was sold as a GT-X.  A guy from the US took a chance on it being a GT-R and imported it over there, but when he stripped the paint off the chassis numbers (something the seller was unwilling to do to verify what chassis it really was) the P was just an H.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29117

out of interest.. i would love to know the build date and build number of your 240K GT.

I have a 240K GT too (well.. i am in the process of preparing it to get shipped to the states, as i sold it to fund my 240z), and only know of 2 others around..

Anyone else had any experience with "accidental" fakes?...

My GT/CS ('68 shelby dress up for california sales district) mustang dropped a valve through the piston and perforated the block within 2 days of ownership so I had a short block rebuilt with new valve train.  The boys that put it together are a class act and heard I was unhappy to have ruined the "matching numbers" status of the car.  To make me feel better they tried to replicate the factory markings.  They did such a good job that even a respected concourse judge didn't pick it as a replacement block and suggested I could pass it off as original!

interesting!, what is the build date? also, on the silver australian compliance plate, does it specify it as "coupe GT"?

Sorry I haven't replied, the plate is in an envelope somewhere and I haven't found it yet

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else had any experience with "accidental" fakes?...

Yeah I payed a fortune for my Toyota Starlet because the owner told me it was a 2000GT. I thought the nose was a bit short.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Getting started on the bodywork now for the Feb 74 car which was already stripped. Plenty of minor rust repairs, but not as much as I had to do on the zed. I put the replica GTR grille on to give me some inspiration. The black front panel is a Restored fibreglass piece which fits perfectly and saved me from trying to find a replacement somewhere.

post-853-144023561925_thumb.jpg

Found it, actually says Coupe Auto GL and the build date is Feb 1974

By Build date, you mean compliance plate date?

Weird. Mine is #4253 and the compliance plate is 1/1974. A lower vin, but it appears to have been complianced earlier than yours.

hey that looks just like the same shape as my 72 180b sss  do they have irs or solid rear axle jeez getting pretty rare now ,nice one

Not the same chassis if that's what your getting at. All the 6 Cylinder K's were IRS. These were GT's rebadged as GL's. Some minor differences between the "real" GT's and the following GL's, I think it was mostly to do with Nissan not competing in Japanese motorsport much in the mid 1970's, at least not with the C110. Apparently the GT's had bigger disc' brakes than the GL that replaced it, but the GL had a 5 speed, whereas the GT had a 4 speed gearbox. The GTR had rear discs too.

but the GL had a 5 speed, whereas the GT had a 4 speed gearbox. The GTR had rear discs too.

hmm interesting all NZ new 240K were GT and all had 5 spd to the best of my knowledge - never seen a 4spd L6 box here in NZ my self :(

Well let me restate something - all NZ 240K 2 doors were GT's to the best of my knowledge - only seen 2 or 3 4 doors and they were all AU imports so were GL models.