How to Sell a 260Z?

Guihan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

i was thinking the $1000 off a day thing was pretty extreme, probably better off putting it on ebay as then its a wider group of people - and not one where everyone basically owns a zed already

Our website stats indicate that there is a large group of people who have not signed into Auszcar.com and are actively monitoring the classifieds section.

In fact the number of views of the classifieds section is proportionately higher for those unregistered than those registered.

I do wonder how effective Ebay / Carsales etc.. is compared with our classifieds section though.

• Administrators

Perhaps make the classifides hidden to those not signed up, Gav?

I dunno, the harder we make it for people to access the information the less likely they will. We want to make it as easy as possible for people to sell things here right?

Yeah we have to make it easier for visitors to find not harder. Having the latest cars for sale and parts displayed on the homepage of the site would increase their visibility 10 fold.

The new site will have something like this. When I finally build the new site that is.

I do wonder how effective Ebay / Carsales etc.. is compared with our classifieds section though.

As someone spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, (for months), searching various online sources for a suitable 240, I would suggest that viczcar classified have a far higher success rate than ebay/carsales/carpoint/drive/my105/carsguide/etc.  There are cars that have been listed for months on some of these sites & there are numerous Zeds that are listed over & over again on ebay with no result.  If you want to sell a Zed, I think this is the place to do it, (my 260, sadly, will end up here when I find my 240.  :) ), particularly if you are keen to see the car go to another Zed enthusiast.

In response to Lurch's comment re restricting access, it depends what you want to achieve.  If you want to sign up the most people you can, make everyone create an account to view classifieds but if you want to create a community of Zed car enthusiasts, (even those who are keen on 2+2s), who are willing to contribute, leave everything open & let those who are interested join in when they are ready.  I lurked here for a couple of years before I signed up & a high proportion of introductions state the same in their 1st post...

• Administrators

As someone spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, (for months), searching various online sources for a suitable 240, I would suggest that viczcar classified have a far higher success rate than ebay/carsales/carpoint/drive/my105/carsguide/etc.  There are cars that have been listed for months on some of these sites & there are numerous Zeds that are listed over & over again on ebay with no result.  If you want to sell a Zed, I think this is the place to do it, (my 260, sadly, will end up here when I find my 240.   :) ), particularly if you are keen to see the car go to another Zed enthusiast.

Good to hear you think this is the place to sell a Zed. For anyone in Australia I would like to think that this is the best place to buy and sell a zed, just Google 'Datsun 240z' or 'Datsun 260z' from Google.com.au and you'll see why.

In response to Lurch's comment re restricting access, it depends what you want to achieve.  If you want to sign up the most people you can, make everyone create an account to view classifieds but if you want to create a community of Zed car enthusiasts, (even those who are keen on 2+2s), who are willing to contribute, leave everything open & let those who are interested join in when they are ready. 

I don't want to lock it down. I would imagine it would be very frustrating to have to login in just to view the for sale section. I actually think forcing people to register could discourage people from registering as oppose to encourage.

I lurked here for a couple of years before I signed up & a high proportion of introductions state the same in their 1st post...

Yes I know this happens and I see the same trend looking at our Web stats data. I'm actively looking for ways to encourage people to join our website rather than just browse and lurk for ages. There is definitely a snowball effect here, in that the more people who join the more want to join.

We have been certainly growing in terms of member numbers very rapidly over the past year when compared with the first couple of years we were around which is positive.

So at the end of the day I don't see a reason to change anything, other than to make the site easier to use, less cluttered and more useful to the members.

No offence to the late owner of the vehicle or the seller aswell, but this thread just goes to show how much these early zeds are really worth. The price is dropping dramatically, and even the zedophiles on the forum who swear black and blue that these cars are worth 3 billion dollars wont even pay the asking price, irrespective of it being a 240-60 or 80. Their old cars, with a cheap purchase price from the original dealer floor, with billions world wide, this does not make them collectors car's, unfortunately. As much as i love my 260, I can face the reality of it not being a rare hard to find supercar collectable.

Just ask a non z owner, what is this car? And i'm sure the response will be "I don't know", or "Their those cheap sports cars from the states".

Ask a z owner involved in a z community, "It's a mega collectable car that's worth mega dollars because of a cult status amongst its own kind".

I love my car, but wont see it any other that a cheap japanese sports car.

Goodluck with the sale, many respects the the parted owner.

No offence to the late owner of the vehicle or the seller aswell, but this thread just goes to show how much these early zeds are really worth. The price is dropping dramatically, and even the zedophiles on the forum who swear black and blue that these cars are worth 3 billion dollars wont even pay the asking price, irrespective of it being a 240-60 or 80. Their old cars, with a cheap purchase price from the original dealer floor, with billions world wide, this does not make them collectors car's, unfortunately. As much as i love my 260, I can face the reality of it not being a rare hard to find supercar collectable.

Just ask a non z owner, what is this car? And i'm sure the response will be "I don't know", or "Their those cheap sports cars from the states".

Ask a z owner involved in a z community, "It's a mega collectable car that's worth mega dollars because of a cult status amongst its own kind".

Thank you for this honest and realistic appraisal. I apologise if this thread has tarnished a few romantic notions of how much these old cars are worth. Trying to do my best for my late friend’s estate, I thought it best to offer the car with, or without, its original plates (and a roadworthy certificate). To be honest, I would prefer to sell the car roadworthy – even if the final amount raised is less. I am sure my friend would have wanted his beloved car to live on. However, this may not be the bst place to sell a roadworthy classic car.

........it's sold..........lets move on to the next rare cheap find.

I think Guihan did the right thing.

Thank you for this honest and realistic appraisal. I apologise if this thread has tarnished a few romantic notions of how much these old cars are worth. Trying to do my best for my late friend’s estate, I thought it best to offer the car with, or without, its original plates (and a roadworthy certificate). To be honest, I would prefer to sell the car roadworthy – even if the final amount raised is less. I am sure my friend would have wanted his beloved car to live on. However, this may not be the bst place to sell a roadworthy classic car.

At the end of the day it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  Look at the price of some old falcon or holden sedan from the 60's/70's. Some of those fetch a huge price. They were just a run of the mill family sedan back in the day (even lowlier than a cheap sports car!), but you wouldn't think so from the price of one in good nick. There must be some kind of demand for them.

It's kind of like a game of attrition, the buyer vs the seller. Can the seller afford to have the car on the market longer than the buyer can afford to wait for another suitable one to come along....

As someone spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, (for months), searching various online sources for a suitable 240, I would suggest that viczcar classified have a far higher success rate than ebay/carsales/carpoint/drive/my105/carsguide/etc.  There are cars that have been listed for months on some of these sites & there are numerous Zeds that are listed over & over again on ebay with no result.  If you want to sell a Zed, I think this is the place to do it, (my 260, sadly, will end up here when I find my 240.   :) ), particularly if you are keen to see the car go to another Zed enthusiast.

In response to Lurch's comment re restricting access, it depends what you want to achieve.  If you want to sign up the most people you can, make everyone create an account to view classifieds but if you want to create a community of Zed car enthusiasts, (even those who are keen on 2+2s), who are willing to contribute, leave everything open & let those who are interested join in when they are ready.  I lurked here for a couple of years before I signed up & a high proportion of introductions state the same in their 1st post...

Even those keen on 2+2s. Whats so wrong with 2+2s?

As far as the price of 240 and 260z dropping, if you look at the redbook valuation they are going up in value even the 2+2s ;D. Any datsun has gone up in value actually eg. 1200 ute you wont find for under $5000.00 for a decent one and thats not what the dreamers are asking for them ($15000). Zeds are a cheap classic sports car but pick up any classic sports car book and the zed will be in there with a great review on style and performance. I was in a book store the other day and picked up a book called "dream sports cars" and the Zed was there. Also picked up a book called worse cars ever made and the Datsun 120y was there ::). Any old car is only worth alot of money to someone who loves that car. I wouldnt go out and spend over $500000.00 on a XYGT Falcon but some people do because they love them. It only makes sense that the older a car is the rarer it gets and the more its worth.

Yours Wil ??

nah brotha.......I've got my hands filled with engineering my golf atm..........should be road legal soon.

defly making a comeback in the future though..........when you compare the zed to other classics.......the shape and sounds you get from a Zed........makes it seem so cheap in comparison to others.

too bad i lucked out on ozlotto the other night aye  ;D

Disappointed it took someone that long to bite...

Actually, nobody on this board was interested, so I will now advertise the car elsewhere. It is currently being brought up to full roadworthiness standard, and will soon be advertised as having reconditioned brakes and steering, four new tyres, a new windscreen, new electric antenna, and a few other things. It will have a Victorian Roadworthiness Certificate, and I suspect the asking price will work out close to $10k.

I did promise to mention it here before going ahead with alternative advertising plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, nobody on this board was interested, so I will now advertise the car elsewhere. It is currently being brought up to full roadworthiness standard, and will soon be advertised as having reconditioned brakes and steering, four new tyres, a new windscreen, new electric antenna, and a few other things. It will have a Victorian Roadworthiness Certificate, and I suspect the asking price will work out close to $10k.

I did promise to mention it here before going ahead with alternative advertising plans.

As a PS to the above, the car sold on the first full day of advertising on CarSales.com.au. The sale price was very close to $10k.