How to use a uni-syn balancer

ol_skl_jp

I went and picked up a balancer today, to balance my tripple dellorto's. Thing is im not too sure how to use "properly". NOOB question i know...

Refer to pics.

- I had to take off my ram tubes to get a good seal, you can why (just look at em')

- Car was idling at about 900rpm but the little red ball wasnt moving. Only when i got on the throttle abit it started to rise.

- Fuel also comes out.

Oh and i also found that most of my pump jets where blocked so spent the day cleaning and testing them, although fuel is still coming out from one of the screws. But now there is little to no hesitation (under free revving) so pleased bout that ;D

To use the uni-sync you have an adjustment needle in the middle of the airflow meter, adjust that anti-clockwise and that will measure a lower volume of air. But in saying that i think you can still sync your carbs at 2000rpm if you chose to. Shame about the ram tube.

I rotated the airflow meter thingy anti-clock to open the gap but it still didnt work.

You'd want to close the gap to measure smaller amounts of air surely?  Unless I'm thinking upside down again, it seems to me the smaller the gap the air is passing through, the more effect it will have on the meter as the air is travelling faster.  Conversely, a bigger gap i would think would slow the air down and make the meter less sensitive?

I cant get the uni syn to work without the ram tubes, there is not enough air going through the venturi's at idle to lift the marker. Only when I accelerate to a higher rpm.

Do the ram tubes increase the velocity going through the venturi?

Sach

yes thats correct, shorter rams give better low down and longer give better mid range, something like that could be the other way around. You can still roughly balance them just by the shaking of the motor on idle, if it is shaking badly then one or more carbs are out of balance. Keep adjusting til the motor is running smoothly. That should keep you in the ball park for now.

Edit: im not trying to make myself a expert as im far from it just hope some of it helps you.

• Moderators

Glen, you were right on that second note, shorter trumpets are for top end and longer for more bottom end. Another thing is don't keep the balancer on there for too long, it tends to "choke" that cylinder/bank of cylinders. Don't worry Glen, the experts are watching; they are just waiting for you to make a huge mistake before they pounce!

You have to wind the centre of the tool in to restrict the airflow.

You can only place it on the carby for a second or so to get your reading because you

are restricting the flow so much.

By winding in or out you adjust how far up in the gauge the little red ball goes.

Does yours have the foam face to press against the carby?

I have the same as yours but mine came with instructions.

Then when you get to checking balance at higher revs just wind the screw out to

allow more air through to keep the ball within the limits of the scale.

Hope this helps

Does yours have the foam face to press against the carby?

I have the same as yours but mine came with instructions.

It does have the foam face. LOL mine also came with instructions, tried following them :)

Cant do it for a couple days, coz i kinda promised the neighbors i wouldn't work on the car for a couple days (christmas day and then some)... In there defense it does get pretty loud and wreaks of exhaust fumes  ::)