Emergengy Brake light at Speedometer slightly im when brake is off.

jalexquijano

I am experiencing an issue with the emergency brake light at the dashboard. It does light up when i pull the emergency brake lever. However if the lever is down it lights up dimly on the dashboard. I already topped both of the master cylinder reservoirs with DOT4 fluid and the light is still showing up at the back very dim. I did notice that there is female cable connector attached to the terminal of the sensor underneath the master cylinder. Do i need to clean this sensor? something is not grounding properly i believe. Anyone??

As you point out the emergency brake light on the dashboard is triggered by the handbrake lever as well as the pressure differential switch under the master cylinder. Unplug the wire to the PDS and if the light goes out fully you know the problem is with the PDS. Our cars are very old and most PDS will be fully or partially seized and if you have done any brake work and had to bleed brakes they can kick to one side and stay stuck in that position which will trigger the light. On my 240 there is a main earth terminal on the PDS mounting bolt as well, check this is clean and secure.

Pic below for reference is not a Z car PDS but same principle.

Image result for brake pressure differential valve

Edited by KatoKid