1 Jz Convertion Anyone ?

smugley

Could someone please give me a ball park figure on what a Toyota 1jz (2.5 lt 6 cylinder twin cam EFI 350+hp with dyno sheet atw) and 6 speed convertion to fit a S30 would be worth ?

It would contain engine , 6 speed box , turbo , exhaust 3" , ECU , intercooler , mounts and brackets , basically the whole box and dice to plug and play .

Cheers Doug

*converSion

Nothing about that is plug and play.
Im not going to look up part prices for you, you can do that yourself.
However, I will tell you that youll need pretty much everything custom made.
You (Or your fabricator) will also have a hell of a time getting a 3" turbo dump pipe to fit past the steering column. The RB's are easier in this regard for our market as the exhaust is on the other side of the block
Ballpark though? Figures off the top of my head.
$4000 for the engine + whatever you spend rebuilding/strengthening +$4K for the 6 speed box as d3c0y mentioned

The engine management will set you back $1500 + Tuning (Probably another $500-$1000, maybe another $500 if they are installing it too)
The exhaust system will probably cost you $500-600 alone

The tailshaft will have to be custom made, could easily be $3-400
The diff 'should' put up with the abuse, but you'll want to put a good LSD in there, so may as well budget $2k there
Brakes and suspension if not already done will easily chew up $5k of your budget
The intercooler is easy though, a generic off the shelf core will fit, couple of bends and through the holes in radiator support, 3" pipes will 'just' fit
Youll still need custom made cooler piping, could easily spend a few hundred there

Labour will be a killer. Im going to assume because your asking that youll probably be paying a workshop to do this, nothing wrong with that at all, but it gets expensive.
Most workshops are around $120p/h maybe more if they are well known for off the wall custom vehicles
I would expect to drop $10k in labour/workshop costs alone, maybe even more if your really getting wild with it.
Its definitely one of those areas that if you have the skills to do the work, or are willing to get in, learn and have a crack (and maybe still end up paying a pro) youll save some cash and gain priceless experience

As you can see, it all adds up real fast, and this isnt even beginning to look at any bodywork issues or interior freshen up.
I would strongly suggest strengthening the floor chassis rails with the full length bad dog rails (or similar) so budget for that too

Engineering can be a long and painful hassle if you dont reserach and consult before hand, i would budget $2500 for your engineering costs, with a probable expectation you may need to spend half that again if you need to change things.
not sure how it all works in VIC but I would think you probably need to consult with an engineer before hand anyway to come up with a plan to follow, maybe even submitting to VICRoads before beginning the project. you'll need to sus out whatever is applicable to you.

So far the ballpark total is at a bit over $30k

Thanks Nathan for your response but maybe I should have been a bit more clear on what I was asking !
I'm looking at selling one not building one.
I have the opportunity to purchase a car that has the conversion all ready in place but I want to take it back to the original engine and gearbox , so just trying to get a ball park figure on what someone else would be willing to pay for the Toyota conversion  ( plug and play) ?
Cheers Doug

post-100204-0-23038600-1519126483_thumb.jpg

Edited by smugley

Thats half an hour of your life you will never get back Nizmo!! haha

There are a lot of variables that need specifying mate.  What work has been done to the engine if any. What condition/age/km are on the components. What brands have you used (quality parts or cheap ebay items). If you provide more details it'd be easier to assess the worth or alternatively just google them.  I will say however that your package is not a common s30 power plant option, so limiting your sales net to just z owners would be unwise.  Perhaps ask some supra guys etc as the market would be there as well as the knowledge. 

Sounds like all the hard work has been done.

If you were to work backward from the above posts, you would think that $20K would be the appropriate estimate. But, my guess is that finding a buyer for a Toyota motor in a Datsun at $20K, might be a hard task.

Good luck with the sale

I have no idea about these conversions but if you blokes have said the motor is worth $4K and the 6 speed box is worth $4K, they alone add to $8K. So when you add all the other hoohaa ready to drop in with no further adjustments, why is it only worth less than the motor and box alone?

This is the thing though, something like a modified car has two valuations, one as it stands and one if all the parts are sold separately. But with the latter shouldn't a price be put on the parts gathering and selling process and taken from the valuation?

Edited by 260DET