WHICH BLOODY WHEELS

scrumpy

There are lots of threads about lots of wheels; Rota; Watanabe;Performance;Konig

I have a 260Z coupe.

Okay I need a simple answer.  I want to fit 16x 7 wheels with no rubbing or fouling or body modifications or lip bending.  I want to fit 205 55 16 tyres

I am looking at the Performance Superlite wheels in this size.  The brouchure says 12P and a 112 backspace.  Will this wheel / tyre combination work with no rubbing?

What is the ideal offset backspace for a 16 inch wheel that will allow the best fit of tyre.

Another thread said Roto RB - R 16 x 7  +4

I need a simple answer and someone that may well have a set of Performance 16 x 7 Superlites on their 260Z or another brand of wheel in this size that fits and work with NO hassles. Photo appreciated.

Thanks  S30 06/76  Koni - triple webber - 72 works cam - Std spings

Scrumpy

Both sized wheels will work with that tyre size. I have run 16x7 11mm offset with 225/50 and had clearance of 10mm to the spring perch. Ideally the closet to a zero offset (for 16x7) you have, the greater the clearance, and the better looking stance. I have recently acquired (from 18racing) a set of Rota RB 16x7 4mm offset for the front and 16x8 4mm offset for the back (painful experience especially after sales service with damaged wheel) tyre sizes 225/50 and 245/45. The stance looks great, I have a photo of the rear. I hope this helps.

Mick

post-669-144023483309_thumb.jpg

post-669-144023483312_thumb.jpg

post-669-144023483315_thumb.jpg

Mick74 : gah you know i am going to copy your setup. Everytime i see these pics my card gets a little tremble. :)

I'd go with the rota RBr's light rims compared to the superlites that is. Hey I am !!

Thanks Mick74.

I want to maintain the correct look of my car and most threads always head off into the how big can I fit scenario.  By choosing 16 x 7  I aim to keep the period look of my car as far as a higher profile tyre and open up the range of tyres I can use/afford. Thing is Commodore and Falcon now use 16 inch rims so availability is good.

Easiest way is to not worry about the offset, but make sure the backspace is right.

Measure the backspace on your current rims, easieat way is a straight edge across the rim and a tape from that to the back of the mounting surface of the rim. Should be around 100-120mm. This will be your maximum measurement, if the backspace is less on the other rims they will have more negative offset.

If you go for a wheel with the same back space as your current rims then you know they will fit, providing the brakes are standard or not too much bigger.

The width you want to run will have the offset dictated by the backspace and will end up around +5mm or so, or into -ve if you have a lesser backspace.

You maybe able to find a modern wheel, ie from skyline or 200SX, but they will have a +35mm or so offset, something that doesn't really suit the old school cars like Zeds.

• 1 month later...

Well here they are.  Bought a set of 16 x 7 ROTA RB Wheels with a 4mm offset

Bought them from 18racing in the US via seller wheelbay on ebay. $1000 delivered

Fitted them with Goodyear F1 tyres 205/55/16.  $850 fitted

Here's some photos. No rubbing. You would not be able to go any larger without flares; or having the tyres protrude beyond the body. 

post-694-144023485467_thumb.jpg

post-694-144023485471_thumb.jpg

post-694-144023485474_thumb.jpg

post-694-144023485477_thumb.jpg

I'm not speaking for everyone but i think if you hook into a few local guys or girls with a Z on this site, a person who was looking at a BIG purchase such as wheels might be able to get some help. Then through this site maybe you can find someone who would be willing to let a "pre" wheel buyer try their similar rims on and save them making a mistake.

My rims where what inspired me late last year and here i am 5 Grand later and still LOVING every minute of my rebuild.

Only because of 3 things.

1. My love 4 all Z cars.

2. It was my choice to do this since i was 15

3. The inspiration that i Have borrowed from the people who make this website.

I made the wheel choice before i found this website.

Great choice of wheels, looks great.  A couple of guys have been asking what flares on a 2+2 looks like and do they fit....well they fit mine no problem and I reckon they look great. 

Rev.

post-646-14402348548_thumb.jpg

Wow rev, that 2+2 looks hot as! Definate inspiration for me to finish mine off  :D the flares look really good. I was a bit sceptical of how they would look on the longer 2+2 body. But they still suit the shape alright!

Thanks for giving me my desktop background as well!!  ;D

Well here they are.  Bought a set of 16 x 7 ROTA RB Wheels with a 4mm offset

Bought them from 18racing in the US via seller wheelbay on ebay. $1000 delivered

Fitted them with Goodyear F1 tyres 205/55/16.  $850 fitted

Here's some photos. No rubbing. You would not be able to go any larger without flares; or having the tyres protrude beyond the body. 

Are those RB's or RB-R's?  I thought the RB-R's had a more curved spoke like these.