Mat_1 Posted January 21, 2013 Posted January 21, 2013 Hi fellas, Looking to buy a new speedo and tach for my Datsun 260z. I'm wondering if the 240z speedo and tach is compatable and will fit into the 260z dash? Thanks Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted January 21, 2013 Moderators Posted January 21, 2013 They mount the same but plugs on the back are sometimes different. Plus 240Z speedo is in MPH which to me is a bit of a PITA. Quote
Moderators PB260Z Posted January 22, 2013 Moderators Posted January 22, 2013 They mount the same but plugs on the back are sometimes different. Plus 240Z speedo is in MPH which to me is a bit of a PITA. Dimitri You probably know this but in case you don't The easy way to convert KMH / MPH is look at the KMH road sign and multiply by 6 to get MPH 60 KMH x 6 = 36 MPH - true conversion is 37.3 so you are safe 80 KMH x 6 = 48 MPH - true conversion is 49.7 100 KMH x 6 = 60 MPH - true conversion is 62.1 110 KMH x 6 = 66 MPH - true conversion is 68.3 Cheers PB Quote
Six_Shooter Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Dimitri You probably know this but in case you don't The easy way to convert KMH / MPH is look at the KMH road sign and multiply by 6 to get MPH 60 KMH x 6 = 36 MPH - true conversion is 37.3 so you are safe 80 KMH x 6 = 48 MPH - true conversion is 49.7 100 KMH x 6 = 60 MPH - true conversion is 62.1 110 KMH x 6 = 66 MPH - true conversion is 68.3 Cheers PB I like that, I've always just remembered the key speeds, which around here are 30 MPH approximately 50 kph, 50 MPH, which is approximately 80 kph, and 60 MPH which is approximately 100 kph. Due to our goverment's backwards thinking and listening to the wrong people, our speed limits max out at 100 kph. On the Trans-Canada Highway, there are some 110 kph stretches, but not many, and don't dare go 111 kph. :facepalm: I also have a 280Z face on my 240Z speedo that has kph on the inside ring, but is quite difficult to read, even in the day time. Quote
Mat_1 Posted January 22, 2013 Author Posted January 22, 2013 Thanks guys. That is a good trick ill remember that PB Quote
Retro Z Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 240z tacho and speedo will fit. But wiring is different. Also 240z has studs attached at the back for mounting while 260z doesnt..but the housings can we swapped around so that they can be mounted to either models dash. Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted January 22, 2013 Moderators Posted January 22, 2013 Dimitri You probably know this but in case you don't The easy way to convert KMH / MPH is look at the KMH road sign and multiply by 6 to get MPH 60 KMH x 6 = 36 MPH - true conversion is 37.3 so you are safe 80 KMH x 6 = 48 MPH - true conversion is 49.7 100 KMH x 6 = 60 MPH - true conversion is 62.1 110 KMH x 6 = 66 MPH - true conversion is 68.3 Cheers PB My way around it is with an old crappy GPS that has 5 year old maps; useless for anything else but great as a GPS speedo! Plus if I get lost anywhere in the CBD I can find my way back out to the surrounding inner city suburbs.. Quote
Moderators PB260Z Posted January 22, 2013 Moderators Posted January 22, 2013 My way around it is with an old crappy GPS that has 5 year old maps; useless for anything else but great as a GPS speedo! Plus if I get lost anywhere in the CBD I can find my way back out to the surrounding inner city suburbs.. Yeah that would work really well, I used an iPhone app in the old Falcon. Also pretty useful for checking the honesty of speedo's in modern cars with interesting results. Quote
Mat_1 Posted January 22, 2013 Author Posted January 22, 2013 Does anyone know where I could find a 260z speedo? I can't find one anywhere. And thanks for all the info so far Quote
gilltech Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Yes I have a spare 260Z speedo & tacho set, came out of a 2+2 about a '76 model as I recall, a lowish-mileage car that was parted out to make a race car not due to an accident. Speedo is in kph not mph. Typically I had hoarded them away as spares but realistically I'll never use them so am happy to on-sell them, I'm in Brisbane but can post out if required. I also have the clock from the same car, but not the other two small gauges. Send me a message if you wish to proceed. Regards, John Quote
Six_Shooter Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Are your speedos actually in kph? or just have kph in the inner ring? Quote
HKSZ Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 In 1974 we changed to KPH, yes the speedo just reads in KPH Quote
Six_Shooter Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Oh man, I'd love to get one of those speedos. The closest thing I've seen around here, is the dual graduation face that I'm using now, but is very difficult to read the metric scale, since it's small and a light blue colour that really doesn't stand out. Quote
gilltech Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Oh man, I'd love to get one of those speedos. The closest thing I've seen around here, is the dual graduation face that I'm using now, but is very difficult to read the metric scale, since it's small and a light blue colour that really doesn't stand out. I think all the Australian & New Zealand market 240s were in mph, unless the very last ones were metric? but certainly the 260s - '74 to '78 - were all metric (we didn't get the 280 motor you north american blokes got). White on black background. I've seen various Z cars that have been imported as used cars from other markets, such as the UK, USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Philipines, Europe etc, & the type faces do vary somewhat. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.