280ZX 15/16 Master Cylinders USD$65.00 + shipping

Lurch, mate. I have read through your write up a couple of times. It looks to be a very straight forward swap, but your total came to around the same price for a front kit. And it would save me the trouble of finding parts. My brother will also be in the states, and depending on the weight, i can bring in the for next to nothing (if he's not bastard about :P).

But i will start going to some wreckers and having a look, 1980's Hilux calipers yer?

*Are there performance pad for the hilux calipers?

Just got a reply about availability from Silver Mine Motors:

ok i checked with my supplier and they don't have any in stock. recently it has been very hard to get these parts since they come off a car that if getting to be more rare. i can get someone to go to the local gunk yard and get six of them for me then i could send them to be professionally rebuilt but that would raise the price of each master cylinder by $25.

that's the best i could do right now. i'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Still seems reasonable to me . Any Thoughts ?

Can anyone tell me if there brake kits are worth while, was thinking bout their stage 3 front kit and stage 4 rear, US$385 = AU$548 and $785=$1191 respectively.

Sach

There stage three front kit is Non Ventilated. Stage 4 might be a closer match to Lurch's set. Looks like they use 300zx 4 lug rotors which used to sell in the us for about $100.00 US  a pair on Ebay ( Drilled and Slotted ) .All they need is spacers like these.(No Machining) Might ask for just spacers and rotors? and get them in  the MC Order?

Different size ones if you have 240z hubs. Sach ,PM me as i know a wrecker in NSW who has Calipers i think. Sell them on Ebay and gets $120 ? a pair normally.

post-1197-144023509466_thumb.jpg

post-1197-144023509481_thumb.jpg

that would raise the price of each master cylinder by $25

they replied to me saying the same thing, postage for 4 or 6 would be US$60 to melb, the only difference being with 6 they will be bubble wrapped instead of in their box for the reco place - simply to fit them all in.

this makes them US$100 each, which with todays conversion rate is $155, so...how much was the one on ebay? any chance of the AUD ever recovering....

Just so everyone knows.  If the cost is becoming too much, do remember that the MQ/MK Nissan Patrols had 15/16th and 1" masters and all that is required to make fit is to change the brake lines to be fed from the side, not the bottom.  They will bolt straight on to the booster. There are heaps of 4wd forums where people are wrecking these plus heaps of 4wd wreckers, so it is another option and it wouldn't be expensive to re do the lines.  My plan is, that since i have a Patrol 15/16th, I will get a 1" as well and i will get the lines redone to suit the side feed and then i can run either...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I can confirm they are still available, at least through Autobarn.  I have one on order.  JB1419 is the part number.  I would be interested to see if they are making the patrol 15/16th master aswell.

Just to update this thread for others looking for 280ZX Brake Master Cylinders.

I have just phoned Autobarn at Albion Park NSW and confirmed that the JB1419 is still available.

(*edit - JB1419 is the 1" - not the the 15/16" 280ZX MC)

Their list price is $159.00.

I have one ordered and I will post a pic or two when I get it.

Thanks for the lead Scott!

-Ian :)

Just to clear this up.  The JB1419 is not a 15/16th MC, its 1" and is a Patrol replacement, not 280ZX.  However it will fit all of the early zeds, I know, cos I have one in mine and its SOLID!! lol

It may be a little too much for some brakes though, so keep that in mind.

sorry looks like i missed this one and a bit late however.

part number is jb1419

i can get for

Protex - $149

IBS - $172

reliance - $153

plus frieght, freight is approx $14.

Althou anybody on this forum i can get a 10% discount too.

So just message me if you intersted and what band you prefer.

Just to clear this up.  The JB1419 is not a 15/16th MC, its 1" and is a Patrol replacement, not 280ZX. 

However it will fit all of the early zeds, I know, cos I have one in mine and its SOLID!! lol

It may be a little too much for some brakes though, so keep that in mind.

Oh! That means I have to ask;

Is a 1" JB1419 going to be "too much" for the Hi-Lux callipers on solid rotors at the front and the standard rear drums?

I don't foresee myself doing any further brake upgrades than this.

I note that your car (Scott's) has;

"Front brakes LN105 Hilux 4 piston calipers with DBA slotted rotors

Rear disk brake conversion, R31 callipers"

- so when you say its "SOLID!!", should I assume that it will be TOO SOLID in my car?

- Ian

*edit 21/1/2011* - My solution was to buy a new Nabco reproduction 79-81 280ZX

Brake Master Cylinder from Rock Auto USA for A$221.64 delivered.

Photos can be found in reply #2 on this page;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8158.0.html

I think it would be personally, but maybe someone here who has tried it could shed some light?  I remember my standard 7/8th MC was not enough for the Hilux caliper, so I reckon the 15/16th would be perfect. 

BTW, I have a 15/16th that I'm about to put up for sale ;)