I bought a set of Triple Mikuni's on Ebay.

gav240z

• Administrators

Hey guys, I bit the bullet and finally decided I wanted a set of Triple Mikuni's for my 240z. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8023486080&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

They come with the intake manifold I'll be sure to post more pics when they arrive.

There goes my shopping budget for boxing day :lol:

• Administrators

Hi Sulio, I think I got them at a bit of a bargain since I will be getting the intake manifold, all 3 carbs linkages etc..

They will no doubt probably need custom jetting, venturi's, chokes the works to run on my Z unless the current owner has a very similar engine set up. I still haven't heard from him since I won the auction I think he is on holiday though and I'm not in a hurry to part with my money just yet :twisted: .

I was considering these carbs but they are weber: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Triple-Weber-DCOE-Carb-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQitemZ4598675655QQrdZ1

I personally prefer Mikuni over weber just from what I've read and I think Mikuni are just a bit better made sort of like the Hitachi SU's vs the British SU's.

The Mikuni's don't have the velocity stacks instead it has those airfilters however if they air filters don't have some form of velocity stack underneath it will be one of the first things to go. I do want that 6 trumpets lined up look anyway :twisted:

This place in the US sell Mikuni gear http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/classified.htm however they seem to be selling a pair for $1000+ and that doesn't include the manifold to suit the L6.

So all in all I think I got a good price but have to wait for shipping costs which I don't think should be toooo expensive. :roll:

I also settled on 44PHH's because 50's are so rare and you can bore out the 44's for the stroker 8) .

• Administrators

Hey Warren thanks, yeah I think I got a good deal and the seller seems reasonable he's looking into prices for shipping trying to get me a good deal on that.

I've been up in the air for ages I wanted to have F.I Throttle Boddies but I think this will be fine for now. I was also considering turbo recently but I just love the sound of triples and the L-series.

Your the opposite of me, here I am thinking I should be fixing the body work but I think I'll leave it until last, build the motor and fix the interior up then finally touch up the body.

Ebay is really good for finding those little bits I need like bits of rubber for stopping the bonnet on close and things like that so I'm going to slowly collect all that stuff so by the time the body work comes around I'll be able to put those bits on and not have to worry about those bits of paint that come off after you've painted it. :D

Ahh the joys! 8)

I will need some of those rubber bits as well as mine have perished and was thinking of placing an order with Victoria British if AllZpatrs does not have them.

If we have to get them from the US perhaps we can combine the order and save on freight as the rubber bits are not all that expensive. The freight is probably the biggest cost.

I will keep you posted on where I am at with those bits.

Warren

• Administrators

That's a good idea Warren infact I have saved some Ebay sellers who are often selling bits and pieces like this and I should probably post a list of them so people can buy bits off them.

For example one user often sells ZX Turbo parts and LD28 crankshafts, another is very good for interior bits and pieces etc..

Your right though after freight and conversion of the dollar the price does jump up and saving on shipping would be very helpful. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hell Gav if I had known you were on the look out for 44phh mikuni's there was a list on NZ Trademe a few months back setup for a worked L28 (came of a racecar that was trashed) for a buy now price of $1100 and NZD to you so about $1000 AUD given current exchange rates (and I could have put into my luggage on my next visit....they have not been listed since and they did not even get a bid. I was thinking about them but like you have been trying to make up my mind what I will do re induction.

I have a N42 non ERG intake manifold and I modified a 635 BMW 64mm TB to fit on the front I am in the midle of porting matching the plenum to the TB. I also picked up a fuel rail from PAllnet for o-ring injectors. But you know what I just keep changing my mind....I really want to go triple throttle bodies but the price has been keeping me away from the big move (however if I was to purchase new carbs they would cost the same, I already have an aftermarket ECU, injectors, fuel pump) Have I talked myself into them yet....surge tank, WBO2, triple TB's, fuel press reg is all I need.

Yep I have talked myself into So does anyone know anything about EFI Hardware throttlebodies?

post-104-144023469793_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Mike, I saw those for sale on trademe.co.nz and was thinking about bidding but passed it up, unsure of how good they would be. I noticed they appeared to be the earlier type which to some are more valuable.

I didn't know I was after a set either, infact I really wanted a set of 50's but I haven't even seen a picture of a set let alone any for sale on ebay or here.

I have also been giving alot of thought to the throttle boddies and have even been considering changing my mind and selling these Mikuni's even though I haven't even received them yet :? .

Does anyone know how much I would be up for in total for the Speed Technology Throttle Boddies and all the hardware for putting them on my Z?

I always seem to find out about these good deals after months of searching for parts I want like the LD28 crank I bought lol... I guess my thinking is if I keep looknig for the perfect deal I'll never get this car done. :D

My motor hasn't come along very far since the last time we spoke, mainly because I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy who currently has all my gear. I'm hoping to get it back soon and put the gear on an engine stand.

There is also a TWM throttle body kit I think it uses weber style bodies or something like that.

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

http://www.twminduction.com/

I can't seem to find the other link I was thinking of.

I have been told but a performance shop here (usually doing race car/targa cars and rotaries are their speciality) that the ones from http://www.jenvey.co.uk/ are crap. The had a customer import them and they were not that impressed.

They recommend the Australian manufactured units EFIHardware - SpeedTechnology and as you have listed http://www.twminduction.com/

While talking about triples the best setup is to have one drop leaver arm and the other carbs connected using a balance joiner (much like the EFI DCOE TBs) as they stay in turn much better as those leaver arms x3 can be a pain to get right..

Well I did it last night I ordered a set of triple 45mm EFIHardware TBs. I already have injectors etc as stated so for me this was ok on the price (still a lot of coin). Should be in NZ in 20days can't wait.....8)

Does anyone know how much I would be up for in total for the Speed Technology Throttle Boddies and all the hardware for putting them on my Z?

Nothing from Steve Newing comes cheap. It's been a long time since I checked, but bare TB's were around the $500 mark each. Injectors are about $100 each (new), manifold ?? (redline made one, but crap quality). Then there's velocity stacks or air cleaners, TPS, ECU. All-in-all it gets expensive.......

gav I was talking to a Zed racer here (his engine build is reg cook - might not mean much in OZ but in the 70/80's reg was the Datsun/Nissan guy) anyway he said triples are the ducks nuts for the L6 - he said getting them setup correctly can take some time and $$ but it is worth it. He said he has read the US sites that say they go out of tune easy etc...he said bollocks if the carbs are correctly matched to the cars head and exhaust and you use just one drop arm and good balancer between the rest you will have not problems.

• Administrators

Nothing from Steve Newing comes cheap. It's been a long time since I checked' date=' but bare TB's were around the $500 mark each. Injectors are about $100 each (new), manifold ?? (redline made one, but crap quality). Then there's velocity stacks or air cleaners, TPS, ECU. All-in-all it gets expensive.......[/quote']

Yes I estimate $3500 - $4000 all up and that was one of the reasons I went with the Triple Mikuni's.

I'm thinking of a wild cam profile but want to be able to drive it on the street. So I thought F.I would be good to make it a little more drivable with the extreme cam and port work.

good on you gav you wont regret going with triples. The induction noise is awsome. If you need any help with seting them up I would be happy to help if you.

Thanks mate I'm going to have a read of the "How to modify your NIssan Datsun OHC" book and see what it recommends based on my engine specs but no doubt I'll need a little help getting them set right.

gav I was talking to a Zed racer here (his engine build is reg cook - might not mean much in OZ but in the 70/80's reg was the Datsun/Nissan guy) anyway he said triples are the ducks nuts for the L6 - he said getting them setup correctly can take some time and $$ but it is worth it. He said he has read the US sites that say they go out of tune easy etc...he said bollocks if the carbs are correctly matched to the cars head and exhaust and you use just one drop arm and good balancer between the rest you will have not problems.

Yeah sounds like what I've heard from lots of people the triple mikuni's are apparently very good at keeping in tune' date=' once set correctly anyway. I hear Webers are more difficult but I think there are a few extra bits and pieces in the weber for finer adjustments.

gav have these arrived yet..... what was the shipping price...

yes and congrats on the purcharse

Thanks mate, shipping worked out fairly cheap for their size and weight. I think it was around $50-$80 can't recall for sure now but that was because I put them on the slow boat from china as it were shipping wise I chose the cheap option but there is a 4-6 week wait.

The seller also agreed to tick gift on the package so that customs wouldn't pinch me for more coin. Apparently up to $1000 AUD is tax free then anything over will cost, so I may have to pay a bit more once they arrive, we will see.