260Z Rb25 Neo Auto To Manual Bellhouse Modification Question

gotenham

I have a 77 260z with a RB25DET NEO conversion which is currently auto.

Im looking at doing the manual conversion and i have someone who can sell me an auto to manual conversion kit for a Skyline EC R33 which includes a the gearbox/pedal box/pedals/ tailshaft/ clutch/flywheel/ master&slave cylinders etc etc .

I have read that the RB25 skyline R33 gearbox will fit into the 260z but with "bellhouse modifications", can anyone elaborate on what that specifically means and what kinda work will be involved to get it to fit or am i better of looking for an easier box to fit?

Also on that note does anyone know how much of the R33 stuff ill be able to easly convert to work in the 260z (pedal box, tailshaft etc)?

any input would be much appreciated!

post-104517-0-14667800-1442290939_thumb.jpg

Is it possible that where you read about "bellhousing modifications" was referring to using the R33 gearbox behind the original L-series engine ?

You might have a point there dave, i had assumed he had meant it would interfere with the transmission tunnel but i may be wrong. Iv PMed Lurch so hopefully he can rain down some of his godly knowledge  ::) .

Any comments on the suitability of the other R33 components fitting or being modify-able?

Is it possible that where you read about "bellhousing modifications" was referring to using the R33 gearbox behind the original L-series engine ?

This ^

I think you've misinterpreted my transmission guide 'gotenham'...

The R33 gearbox will bolt up to your RB25 with no modifications, along with the flywheel & clutch assembly.

You'll need to use the R33 manual gearbox tailshaft yoke & get that grafted onto your 260Z tailshaft. 

You cannot use the R33 pedalbox / assembly in the Zed - it won't fit.

castlemaine rod shop dont make mounts for this?

I would steer clear of the castlemaine rod shop mount.  The one I bought took extensive modifications to get it to fit.  When we did get it to fit I still wasn't happy with it as it mounts to the chassis rails which aren't very strong on an S30 and it leaves no room for an exhaust.  We ended up making this one up instead:

RB Gearbox Mount

The original mounting points have to be cut away to clear the width of the bigger gearbox.  We welded new mounting points into the tunnel rearward of the original mounting points which use the strength of the original mounting points.  We then built the mount to suit.

I don't know much about the RB25 auto box that you're currently running.  Some of the required modifications (tailshaft, mounting points, etc) may have already been done to fit that auto box.