How to fix your iturn signal switch

datsfreak

Hi, I thought i'd share how to fix the signal switch in 240z's.

Ive done this mod on two 240's ,including my current car which have been working for about 5 years.

Thr original switch often gets a bit dodgey - its over 35 years old.  It is very difficult to clean as the switch has a crumby bakalite back that falls to pieces when you try to open or close it.

The idea is to remove the switch then:

Make a plate with three holes , 2 are the original screw holes and a large center hole that is centered on the plate between the screw holes.

I used a two way toggle switch that was spung to return to center. I got it from dicksmith, but you could get them from jaycar. I think it was only $3-$4.

Put this in the center hole of your new plate ,so it sticks into the workings of the indicator stick.

Its a bit tricky getting the depth right, this is adjustable by the two nuts on the new switch

- the goal is to get the signal stalk to work as original WITHOUT pushing the new switch past its limits and also to work the switch enough to trigger it.- Its trial and error but it doesnt take long to get it right.

I cant remember the wiring but it was very straight forward using the original wires.

Anyway I hope this  picture will help.

post-1077-144023517885_thumb.jpg

Hi datsfreak,

Glad i found the topic. When I indicate left nothing happens, it worked intermittently yesterday and then stopped working, right side no prob. If one side works and not the other is the switch still the prob? I checked bulb, that was ok so i thought there must be something wrong with the switch, so i think i'll give your recipe a shot.

Regards

John 

few more companies that sell lot of swicthes. varius ratings etc..... you pay a fair bit as ive seen swiches fetch over 100 each. but u may get a easier install one.

good tip though. only issue i have is those swicthes are ok  but sometimes the springiness wears out too quickly. my previous work used them for selecting between lpg and petrol.3-4years need replacing. i guess some z are not driven daily through the suburbia.

anyway for HUGE selection of swiches visit these guys. if not lucky to have the counter in the state u are at,can get stuff over the line quite easily and posted to your doorstep.

Also lot of other goodies like EL Sheets solenoids map sensors , LEDs etc.... but very $$$$

http://au.farnell.com/switches

or

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=browseSuperSection&Ne=4294960157+4294964839&N=4294863123

Hey datsfreak/scootag, hope you've had a great Easter. Just a little question, does the toggle switch need to be of a certain rating, volt, amp etc..?

Thanks

John

Nah - It didnt need anything high rated , mine has lasted 5 years now and if it died next week its only $5 and 30minutes to fix.

I think this is the switch i used:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/P7689

If I remember correctly I connected both poles with solder to help with the rating.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe most of the time self canceling not working is a product of the tab being missing or broken off the back of the steering wheel. Normally aftermarket wheels dont work. My 1973 240z self cancels with a stock steering wheel.

Hi Vindicare,

I think i've got to modify the toggle on the switch, as in make it thicker because the actual indicator stork does return to the centre position and then i have to give the stork a little up or down flick to move the toggle in the off pos. The original part is like a knob that fits in the hole :) with no slack on either side hence cancels if that makes sence.

John