Is This Choke Lever From A 260Z?

RAP260

As the title states, is this the correct lever for a 260z?

It's never been properly mounted, flopped around. Thought I would try and hard mount it to the tunnel, but I can't see how to get it to fit under the console.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Rob

post-103014-0-77804700-1524360487_thumb.jpg

post-103014-0-86011800-1524360499_thumb.jpg

It isn't mounted on the tunnel, it attaches to the underside of the console - there are two cast plastic bosses for the retaining screws, unless they've been broken off of course.

The pair of choke cables - which are actually metal rods inside cable housings - need to be well lubed or strain is put on the console and the plastic suffers accordingly, as the console eventually cracks across at its weakest point and/or the plastic screw bosses break off.

Your second post appears to show an aftermarket or DIY fix whereby the mechanism bracket is instead attached to the tunnel, with the lever mechanism aligned right beneath the lever slot in the console. It's an easy mod you can fabricate yourself using a small piece of metal flat.

Edited by gilltech

Hey Gilltech,

Sorry, should have explained myself better.

Yea, I suspect the original mounts broke some time ago. I suspect my lever has never been connected to them, as there aren't even any of the broken pieces, or screws present.

I did a mock up of a tunnel mounting plate. But that's when the issue with it not fitting under the console became apparent. I also noticed, later yesterday, that someone has actually widened the lever slot ( badly ) in order to make the lever work.

It's those reasons that make me suspicious that it's not original.

The lever in the second post has a distinctly different design. Looks like it's more appropriate for my car. Wider offset between the mounting holes and the lever, placing the mounting point closer to the centre of the console. And a lower profile at the cable mounting point, meaning it would fit under the console?.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by RAP260

Hey Rob,

My interior is pulled apart at the moment, ill have a look at what my '76 looks like and take a photo for you tomorrow. Mine is currently console mounted, but was thinking of mounting it to the trans-tunnel by buying one of those plates (https://zcardepot.com/catalog/product/view/id/1441/s/choke-lever-mounting-plate-reinforcement-240z.html/category/356/)

Cheers OdinZ, your a legend :)

I now understand exactly what's going on. The mounts are different lengths, so it angles the lever. Mine are completely destroyed, so I couldn't see that.

Ok, back to drawing board with the bracket.

Cheers,

Rob

No worries Rob. I am slightly confused, out Choke Levers look the same to me. I can see why the tunnel mount bracket wouldn't work though, and the original lever doesn't come across far enough. Maybe make your own tunnel mount bracket?

Just translate the fixings which are originally upwards to the underside of the console, downwards on to the tunnel with a DIY custom support bracket fixed to the side so the lever arrangement is well secured.

Fix it in place then lower the console down over it before installing the black plastic handle.

PS

The mechanism sits within the same tunnel-top recess as the ash tray, but forward and hard over to the left.

There is more than sufficient room as the console spans across from the front mounting bracket to the three fixing points in the coin tray at rear ie. it's not hard down on the tunnel; this also allows space for the tunnel insulation padding blanket under the diamond-pattern tunnel trim.

Edited by gilltech

Well, someone I know, very generously supplied me with this ingenious solution.

I haven't had a chance to thank him in person yet, so I'm not sure of its origins.

This uses 4 existing pickup points under the console. Fits beautifully. Will post pictures of it mounted if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to having a functional choke :)

post-103014-0-87639200-1524978672_thumb.jpg

post-103014-0-81629600-1524978689_thumb.jpg