L28T build

peter mc

OK so i will do a build page for each motor this one is for Aaron in WA

SO it a L28ET

spec piston 87mm Ross forged flat top

con rods are spool L28 rods H beem style

the crank is standard .25 main and .25 big ends has been drilled bunged all parts have been balanced and new spigot bush fitted

it runs a NC girdle and ARPstuds in the mains and head

the sump is from Arizona z car

oil pump is a turbo type

it has new timing Chane and guides with new crank sprocket and SW adj timing gear

cam is a PMC turbo spec 280deg 550 lift new rockers springs are HSD  retainers are high side billet steal, valves are 44mm in 36ex and the head is a P90 ported PMC turbo spec

inlet is a custom ported unit

ex manifold is a jap made unit and is very well made the turbo is a 35.40r with a .64 rear for mad responce

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9719.0;attach=25662;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9719.0;attach=25664;image

post-2089-14402364526_thumb.jpg

post-2089-144023645266_thumb.jpg

post-2089-144023645272_thumb.jpg

post-2089-144023645278_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a custom made steampipe manifold, not a bad design for the limited space.  P90 head, standard other than slightly modified combustion chambers.  Standard inlet manifold and commodore throttle body.  The crossover pipe going from the turbo to the inlet of the intercooler wasn't very big in diameter so I think that may have been a restriction?

Should be plenty lively enough for the new owner in a street car anyway  :)

Couple of questions here, first one will probably answer itself, the little oil filter thingo is a good move?... Yes! But if it is worth having on a high performance engine, with most likely a super fussy owner who would change the oil every 50k?  I guess I'm just asking how much theses original filters are worth it, would appreciate what you reckon.

Secondly with the girdle, is it necessary if you are going with the Arizona Z aluminium oil pan, which is saif to give more strength? The more the better I suppose?

Pretty excited to see how this build comes out as I'm getting ready for a 28ET as well.

Z

I assume your talking about the oil pump pick up filter. Its not so much to filter dirty oil, that's what your oil filter does, it's to stop foreign objects getting into the oil system. Imagine at high rpm a valve spring breaks and bits of it fall into the sump. That screen stops the bits getting sucked up and doing more damage.

Yes, the AZC cast aluminium sump will add to rigidity of your block.

But the girdle adds rigidity to your crank, reducing crank flex.

So even though they do the same thing, it's in different areas.

The girdle also acts as a bit of a windage tray and crank scraper, reducing the amount of oil mist in the bottom end.

Yes that's right Pete, alrighty then, saving! The L28 that will eventually be the turbo is in bits. The only engine (other than the original on a stand) is in the car! but I should be able to pick one up from a few guys up here in Queensland. It will be good to see how the cooling of this beast will go too...

• 3 weeks later...