Help, going front sump back to rear sump

HKSZ

I'll back this up with some photos but had a bit of a snafu in the shed tonight making a front sumped L28 to a zed rear sump.

Motor is a L28 f54/P90a that came out of a R30 skyline, some signs tell me this motor originally was a ZX motor ie the rear dipstick stem is still on the block, just folded over to close off and the current sump has a dipstick welded to the front bowl.

I took the fr sump off and found a fr pickup at the front of the block and a second block off plate at the half point of the block. Easy I thought, use the block off plate on the front pickup point and fit a Zed pickup mid point with Zed sump pan.

Problem is that front block off plate and its two bolts now foul the Zeds pan (not a problem with front sump coz thinner frame and deep bowl)

What do I do here? would have to block it off but with what? maybe a welsh plug?

Steve

a big m16 tap and a m16 grub screw would fix your problems

indeed it would, and it'd be an excellent solution if the block were stripped bare.

However, it appears in this situation that it would be almost impossible to ensure that 100% of the swarf from cutting the thread would be removed.

Admittedly, the few traces that remain would likely be captures safely within the filter, however i would want to risk a complete motor on that assumption.

Here's the hole i have to fill 14 to 15mm

Picture is of motor now with z pickup

and a pic of the plate vs pan.

thats odd ot fouls on the sump, because if the main pick up oil gallery is straight or parrallel with the block and the distance from the sump bolts to the centre of  each pick up gallery is the same distance wouldnt the pick up in the rear position foul on the sump also, i just did the same conversion except vice versa and didnt encounter this problem, i did however use a straight block off plate as shown in your pic yours has a booby shape.

Use npt pipe thread and matching hex plug, with grease, keep tapping and test depth of plug, in order to obtain clearance, use loctite so it does not loosen with harmonic vibration etc.

The other thing that can snap off due to age with harmonic vibration ( no you cant feel it) is the baffle plate holding the gauze pack in, going up into the block vent.

FWIW, unscrew it, make a new one with a full width mount plate instead of the two tangs, and loctite in.

Speaking from experience here!

Would of liked to tap it just don't have one that large so got a 15mm welsh plug, which suprises me they make them that size and smaller.

thats odd ot fouls on the sump, because if the main pick up oil gallery is straight or parrallel with the block and the distance from the sump bolts to the centre of  each pick up gallery is the same distance wouldnt the pick up in the rear position foul on the sump also, i just did the same conversion except vice versa and didnt encounter this problem, i did however use a straight block off plate as shown in your pic yours has a booby shape.

Yeah not just the plate fouls the two bolt heads do too. At that point of the z pan the rail is wider and flater that the rest of the pan, which should stop the welsh plug from ever backing out.

I'll take a photo of old pan