Satin / matte paint

DreamZproject

Hi guys,

I'm Half mulling over the idea of getting my car sprayed in Satin metallic grey, but I am

quite hesitant to do it without some serious opinions from you guys. My main concern

is the longevity, and ease of care for the paint.

Can anyone advise me for or against satin paint?

Thanks guys!

I had Satin Black on my GTR and i would probably advise against it.

Water particles stain the paint. You cant wax, buff etc as it will shine the paint. Dirt is easy to see, doesn't offer much protection from bird poop

My paint was also the expensive 2 stage, unlike the cheaper single stage paints which don't offer UV protection or chemical resistance whatsoever.

Unless your car is always garaged and cleaned often its not recommended. And in my opinion i don't reckon the Matte/Satin finishes suit older cars as it can look undone if not done right.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7535/img00627201102031554.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6681/img00713201102141517.jpg

Thanks for that Retro Z. This was my thinking. I most likely will have the car out of cover most of the time, and i really would

like the duco to last more than a few years. But i am very interested in the difference between the satin paint/ satin clear coat

finish difference.

I messaged Stivva over on his project blog, but i haven't received a reply yet. I think I'll still wait around a bit before i make a

final decision. I really do like the idea of having such a cool looking paint job, but hate the idea of having to be so careful not to

ruin it after a few months...

I think you will find if you use the ppg satin clear as I said you will not have a problem with stains

Thats exactly what i had done..hence why i said 2 stage paint. Believe me it can still leave stains. As with normal paint the duco must be chamoised well or else there will be water/dirt droplets..you also can't polish or wax, this is coming from a person who's done it to 2 cars and have seen how it holds up over years in varied weather and it wasnt a cheap primer or rattle can job either. By all means im not saying to 'dont get it' i love the look of satin paint, but its not as durable or easy to maintain as normal duco's. My neighbour has also done a green satin paint job on his hotrod with the speis hecker flattening clear and after 2 years is starting to suffer from blotchyness from rubbing/washing certain areas over time. Your welcome to come check them out. Personally the only time ive seen it last was with vinyl wrap.

how about a COB, jet black base coat with 2pac clear with matting compound/agent in it, finishe is still pretty smooth, just not glossy.

PPG is renown for PissPoorGlos, from previous years gone by..... but most paint manufacturers have a matting additive, which the more you add the more matt' it looks,

A mate whom has painted a few cars for me, has shown me GTR front lips, flares and other panels he's done, it makes an awesome plastic look for the lips and is pretty good on the clean up and car washes to, it looks like a factory plastic but better,

I really dont know how to desribe it better. On metal body panels, looks NUTS.

I would do a track car in this without hesitation, , but for a week-ender, most likely not,

just opinions and suggestions,

nat0

Well... This is really food for thought!

Seeing as though i really would like this paint job to last a while, and i will most likely be leaving it

on the street from time to time, I think i will sadly have to move away from the Satin paint idea...

I think i will just have to go for a type of paint that has a very metallic look to it. I am considering the

same paint as Stivva's car (w/o satin), the 40th anniversary dark grey 370z paint, but I'm wondering

that seeing as it wont be satin if it will appear dark enough.

My other choice was Ford's Ego paint from the xr6's a couple of years ago, but i have a feeling that may

be too dark... Anyone have any suggestions...

PPG is renown for PissPoorGlos,

I would have to disagree. Not saying it is the best, but we use mainly ppg in our shop and I have never seen a car go out with a piss pore gloss. My zed is in ppg. That would be the first bad report I have herd.

The ppg sattin clear is a brand new product and they claim you can polish and wax it and it will retain its Saturn finish

AHHHH! here's the counter reply i was looking for!

Would there be any longevity differences over a standard finish? and if a repair needs to be

done, how difficult is it to blend the paint in?

Keep it coming guys, this is great info!

I guess the benifet of being able to use a wax is that it will be able to be protected some what. So it should last longer. As far as blending goes. I'm not the painter at work and we havnt used it as yet but we will be soon. So the answer is pending.

My zed is satin gunmetal. Its nice, but there are down sides.

You can't buff it, and its harder to colour match if it gets damaged.

I do wax mine, all the time, but mine has a satin clear, so I am not actually sheening the colour.

The biggest advantage is that you actually get two paint jobs out of it!

If you ever get bored of the satin colour, you can buff it and get it nice and glossy!

One bad thing, people who don't know cars, and thats most people, will ask why your paint isn't finished lol!!!

Ahhh stivva, you're the guy i wanted to talk to!

I was wondering if it was possible (when the finish looks bad enough) to buff the satin effect

out and be left with a regular gloss look. Would you happen to know if the job would look any

good after this, ie, will it always look like a satin job gone wrong?

Are there any alternatives to satin that you've seen? for example some kind of candy paint

combination???

Thanks for the reply!

When my painter finished up the job and before it was reassembled, he buffed the body where the tail light panels go as a test point. It was a consistant gloss, but ofcourse it would depend on your technique. So no, it doesn't look like a mistake unless you miss parts while buffing.

Types of finishes include

Flat

Satin

Semi gloss

Gloss (flat or metallic)

Candy (high gloss)

Irradescent

Chrome.

And you can you flat colour, metallic colour, metallic flake pearl, pearl colour, flip colour and a whole lot more

I would have to disagree. Not saying it is the best, but we use mainly ppg in our shop and I have never seen a car go out with a piss pore gloss. My zed is in ppg. That would be the first bad report I have herd.

nah, i aggree, but from times of old this is what i hear the glasurit painters sledge ppg about,

but i have ppg on 2 of my cars and its great....

nat0