XR700 Ignition

luke240ZED

Hey Ash,

Hope your well.  All the goods are finally in and the brakes are sweet  :D  Pulls up extemely well now with the Hilux fronts and R31 rears and a reconditioned master.  I was probably more impressed with the steering!  With the new ball joints, tie rods and nolathane bushes, I have no shake at all in the front end.  I thought it was the steering rack but now I would say it was the old stiff ball joints.

Now, my XR700 ignition has just crapped itself after 10 years which is pretty good going in my opinion.  So I am looking at buying another.  Can you get a hold of these and if so, what price can you do?

Cheers

Luke

p.s. a few pics of the final install

003.jpg

014-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

• Administrators

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4010

Looks like you might still need a non-points distributor (i.e 280zx type one).

It's also worth reading this page I think....

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/ignition.html

Especially the MSD set up. I don't know the difference between the MSD unit and the HI6 I'd say they are fairly similar? Definitely sounds like something my own Z could use as it feels a bit flat in certain parts of the RPM range (This could have something to do with the removal of vacuum advance system - It's using only mechanical advance).

MSD 6AL and Crane HI6 are basically the same.

I currently run my HI6 off a points dizzy - all the points are doing is sending a signal with this setup they arent carrying any load so they dont wear out.

In terms of the requirements its no different to a 280ZX distributor, ie - different coil and mod the tacho to work with the new signal.

After the mod it will start better, run better at lower rpm and generally be more chrisp. You will pick from running CDI set up too.

Here you go - up to $51 and comes with the top model LX92 coil. Just dont use the timing retard function on it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crane-HI-6TR-ignition-LX92-coil-Timing-retard-Rev-limiter-Turbo-Nitrous-/150763123536?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231a2eb350

Will I notice a performance difference over the XR700?  I don't think I need a rev limiter at this point as I'm not that serious with new gadgets on old technology.  Maybe stepping up to the XR3000 as I won't think I need change anything that's currently installed and it should be plug and play.  More thoughts?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Cheers

Luke 

Yes you will notice the difference in performance.

Rev limit just protects your motor incase of miss shift and rev the titties off it - so think of it as insurance. You can get units without rev limit too.

You dont really need to change the wiring much (if at all) for a CDI unit either.

those electronic upgrades arent going to make much better performance. it is still the same old coil delivering the spark. the CDI run the coil at 400 volts or something (so dont hook your tacho to it), so it puts out a bit fat 50000 volt spark. some also put out multiple sparks at <3000rpm, which is meant to make idling etc better. when used with a points dizzy, the CDI units also relieve the load on hte points so you dont need to worry about them burning out (they are just a tiny signal trigger now, not a 'loaded' switch). hte benefit of an electronic dizzy with the CDI is better timing control etc, but you wouldnt expect better spark.

HI Luke.

Just been doing some searching but havent been able to find a wholesaler for the XR700. might be best to go through summit racing as the dollar is still very good :)

Thanks for posting the pics. bits look great on the car.

Ash

After much reading I've gone with the Pertronix Ignitor matched with a new Bosch GT40 3.0 ohm coil.  I like that simple setup keeping the original look.  I'm interested to see how it compares to when the XR700 was in good working order.  The HI6 setups are pretty serious, so I'll save that idea for when I do an L28 one day.  Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Luke

• 3 weeks later...

The pertronix is in and I am very impressed.  Only a 5 minute install once the old was out, turn of the key and we were off.  The idle is a lot smoother than the XR700 module.  This could also be the new coil (GT40 3.0 ohm) as well but either way it's a big difference.  The response is fantastic.  I didn't think there would be much of a difference between the XR700 with the high output Echlin coil and this new setup. A big thumbs up for the pertronix.  Now I hope this one lasts the next 10 years  :)

Cheers

Luke