Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi my names is James, I have a 73 model 240Z that is in need of just a little restoration  ;) starting with extensive rust repairs. It had a Holden 253 coupled with a trimatic in it, along with many non factory modifications. I purchased it because I want to modify it and did not want to destroy an original 240Z. I have a RB30 Turbo with a 4 speed manual shift Auto that I am building to go into it along with some custom manifolds, a nicely matched turbo and an aftermarket management system to run it all.  Even though I am not using the original engine I would like to keep it all Nissan/Datsun. Thinking about a leather interior. Also considering some sub-frame strengthening. At the moment I have finished stripping it and I am almost ready to sand blast it and start cutting and welding.  I am making my "to buy list" so I am sure I will be seeking some advice from you guys.     

Posted

Thanks, bought it out of Sydney about 18 months ago. It's been out of rego since 2001 I would say due to the extensive rust and several rego defects. It has had three colour changes in it's life so far and a dodgy sun roof.  My first serious resto was a 72 model HQ GTS Coupe which I practically gave away many years ago. I have always liked a long bonnet and curvy bum end with the long doors and sporty feel. I spent many years building custom turbo kits for all kinds of cars (before I realized that it was giving me ulcers) I set up a couple of kits on 240Z's and loved driving them, also did many kits and upgrades on VL's specifically RB30's which are in my opinion the choice of the Nissan 6cyl engines with a very strong bottom end, cross flow head, nice chambers and just generally well designed, yet still relatively simple. There is good choice of transmissions for them and quite a few aftermarket bits available and best of all they are still quite common.  After a lot of research some years ago I realized Datsun  was the obvious choice for small well handling cars with an excellent power to weight ratio and practically indestructible engines, so I set to work on a 1600 with little regard for looks but built a healthy 287 bhp Turbo L20 which proved to be a lot of fun but.. I moved, needed extra cash, work commitments etc etc so it went, plus a 1600 is hardly a classic sports car. So now I'm ready to settle down into steady and loving relationship with a classy Japanese sports car where both power and looks are equally important.

 

  • Moderators
Posted

Welcome James,

 

Keep us up to date when you start a build thread..should be interesting!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...