260Z Manual Gearboxes

I know the early skyline with the L series fits I think they are around 1978. but not sure about 80's model cars. You can adapt a 200sx/180sx bosx by using an L series gearbox bell housing on the sx box and changin a bearing on the sx box( do a serach on hybridz and yoou should be able to find some info)

Ash

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info.

Any ideas how a NISSAN CA18 DE MANUAL GEAR BOX TAKEN OF A CA18 S13 SILVIA 1990 MODEL would go?

Is it the same as a SX180?

Thanks again

Tim

The 180 and silvia boxes are the same but they will need some serious modding to run with L6 motors in S30 chassis - not worth the effort - just get a 280ZX or 240K 5-speed box.

The 180 and silvia boxes are the same but they will need some serious modding to run with L6 motors in S30 chassis - not worth the effort - just get a 280ZX or 240K 5-speed box.

Sorry Jon - thats a major misquote.

Look at the Ozdat link for all the info.

All you really have to do is swap the front bearing over & ream out a selector hole.

Then swap the bell-housing's over. Gearbox mount may need some slight modding - PM 'TheHelix' about it as he has done it.

It's all very easy stuff...

3 things to consider:

S13 box's can be had for around $400-$500.

260Z box rebuild kits are about $400-$500.

A decent 2nd hand 260Z box about $400-$500...

I am running a S14 SR20 box. Not sure what makes you think its a difficult conversion blue_leaf. As lurch says, all very simple stuff.

The advantage to the later `C' boxes is the gear width, selector `beefiness', and shift feel. I am by no means a gearbox expert, but I don't really see the downside to using a newer, stronger, nicer gearbox?

Dave

Dave

Thanks for that, a couple of questions:

- swapping the bell-housing, was that one off one on?

- was the box length, mount points and rear spline all OK?

- Did you have to modify anything on the body of the car, bolt holes etc.

I am trying to keep mine as original as possible, but would love a nice box. The older boxes just have a poor shift "feel"

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

The bellhousing I used was what was already on the car, a 280ZX 5-speed.

The SR gearbox has the bolts for the gearbox x-member around 35mm further back than the 71B box. Depends on your car what you do to fix this. I made up a spacer that bolts one side to the box' date=' the other to the standard x-member.

This gearbox is also 50mm longer at the end of the tailshaft. I took a tailshaft that was used on a 71B box and had it shortened by 50mm and it fits just fine (after you remove the cover for the front spline as it doesn't fit into the gearbox).

[/quote']

Dave