2jz in 260z?

qik_shift

revival.

im looking into doing a 2jz or rb26dett swap and was hoping for some members opinions. its only early days but would like some insight from people who have done the swaps.

there is a fair bit of info on hybridz but it is mostly from an american perspective who drive on the wrong side of the road and dont have the same access to rb engines as we do.

i like the look of the rb, however  alot of people say that cooling them is a problem and they require alot of maintenance, whereas the 2jz is a newer engine but is harder to swap.

so any thought??

(and before someone mentions it, yes i have used the search function, no i do not want an rb25 or 1jz, and yes i know i will have to upgrade other aspects of the vehicle)

thanks in advance

ha yeah figured there wouldnt be much difference in starting a new thread or tagging it onto the end of this.

does anyone know if 2jz prices and availability in aus are roughly the same as the rb?

because most people say you can have a more reliable engine with more power at a lower cost out of the 2jz? correct me if im wrong

I've done the RB30ET in 240z,very easy swap,now doing an RB26/30 but going auto as the nissan manual boxes are borderline once you start upping the horsepower (got a built jatco that may hold up,if not i have an adapter for turbo400)

i have a 2jz-gte supra,these motors are superb even in std form,very smooth,strong and torquey.They go very well in S30's but you will need to fabricate everything to fit it in including a custom subframe to mount the motor,there is however a std sump that will fit(aristo i think).Also the exhaust is down the drivers side.The auto option is tricky if you use the std gte box as there are a fair amount of electronics which means having to use the factory computer with a piggyback ecu(messy) or an AEM(expensive) standalone that can control the gearbox as well(Haltech may have one to suit as well,not 100% sure).If you are going manual no problems strength wise,use the r154 5 speed.

I like the Nissan option as it is still "datsun powered" and there are lots of cross-over compatible parts options.

So in my opinion it depends what HP you are aiming for,starting from least to most desirable this would be my pick

RB30et....cheap,plentiful,good hp/$(even an NA version with a turbo kit)

RB25det.....cheapish,lots available including aftermarket performance upgrades

RB26dett......expensive,probably need a rebuild if std which is pricey including 2 turbos,pick-up/sump mod a pita(not

worth it over an RB25 in my opinion other than for bling factor

2JZ............very quick even std but lots more fabrication/$ required to fit it,not as much cheap aftermarket gear

available

RB26/30det..best of both worlds,no more expensive than an rb26 to build,lots of performance parts available,and it's still a nissan ;D 

let us know what you decide

ok thanks, im really leaning towards the 2jz, transplant it in stock then modify it if it needs (which i highly doubt it will)...and i would have to say that putting a v8 or chev block in is worse then changing to toyota. i just like the higher torque and reliabilty of the engine it might take more work and money but im in no rush and half the aim is to have the overkill factor. also its the supra with a rear sump and aristos have the front ones that dont fit.

another quick question, would it be worth doing it to a 2+2? i know people prefer 2 seaters mainly because of performance, but if its a complete engine/gearbox swap then that doesnt really become a factor. and i have nothing against the 2+2 shape.

if you are happy with the 2+2 then do it. It is your car and you are the one that has to like it, no one else

Although pricey, dont rule out the vq35 from the 350z. they are a very good engine and sound reel nice