Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 Hey Guys my name is Matt and I am looking at getting into restoring a 240 or 260. My father had a brand new 260z 2+2 when I was a lad and since then I have always loved them. I was wondering if anyone can put me on the right path to finding and restoring one. Obviously I first have to locate one then go down the restoration path. If I could get some clues on good books or links I would much appreciate it! I'm looking forward to contributing and Following this forum. Thanks Matt Quote
fufu Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 http://www.amazon.com/How-Restore-Your-Datsun-Z-Car/dp/1931128022/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269910611&sr=8-2 You need to track down one of those books. It will give you an overview on how to do things however, you should also go through some of members project journals. As a lot of members have unique ways of performing repairs/restorations to key areas which will lead you to formulate an even better concept on how to repair/restore your future zed. Also if you need further explanation on some repairs done in project journals just shoot the member a private message. They will most likely reply with answers to your questions. You may also wish to visit HybridZ.org in the unlikely event that your questions aren't answered here at AusZcar. P.S. WELCOME! Fu. Quote
Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 Thanks Fu A step in the right direction Quote
zzzzed Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 you are already on the right path by coming here There seems to be a lot of zeds for sale on this site at the moment, so just hang out here and it will all fall in to place Quote
Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 Ok I have ordered "How to restore your Datsun Z" Now I just need to keep an eye out for a car and read lots of posts. I was hoping to pick up a tired on for a couple of grand and strip it back to metal. I hope they are still around for that much Quote
zedevan Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 welcome, you would be better off starting with a car like this http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6711.0.html than one half its price, unless you are keen to do your own rust repairs?!? Quote
Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 welcome, you would be better off starting with a car like this http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6711.0.html than one half its price, unless you are keen to do your own rust repairs?!? That would be a great start. But I think I need to start with one a bit cheaper. It will be easier to get it past SWMBA. i need to star scrounging my money together to work out how much I can really spend. Quote
C.A.R. Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 That would be a great start. But I think I need to start with one a bit cheaper. Hahaha... Hahahahaha! Famous last words?! Quote
Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 Yeah I'm sure everyone starts by saying that. Just not sure I can spend $6000 straight up. I know it probably sound like false economy. I think if I send that it will be 12 months before I can spend anymore and that would be a bit dull. It is early days I will see were the path leads. Quote
reverendzed Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 Hey Bigfella, I know budget dictates most things when we are looking at working with Zeds, but from someone who knows the value of a resto and the work that goes into it the 260z @6K is value and sensible buying. You could easily spend 3K on a rusty shell just to get it the stage that this one is...just be careful that you don't price yourself out of the market by looking for something too cheap. These days with the price of Zeds if it seems to good to be true it most probably is, I think the 2k rusty 240/260z days are about gone! Rev. Quote
fufu Posted March 30, 2010 Posted March 30, 2010 Hey Bigfella, I know budget dictates most things when we are looking at working with Zeds, but from someone who knows the value of a resto and the work that goes into it the 260z @6K is value and sensible buying. You could easily spend 3K on a rusty shell just to get it the stage that this one is...just be careful that you don't price yourself out of the market by looking for something too cheap. These days with the price of Zeds if it seems to good to be true it most probably is, I think the 2k rusty 240/260z days are about gone! Rev. +1 Initially I had a similar mindset as you, Matt. I bought my rust bucket for 5k. I've lost count on how much I've spent on the thing. But if I had to put a price maybe towards the 20k mark now. It's been 3 years since I started the project and its still not on the road. Mind you I did have some unhelpful people who promised the world but didn't deliver. Matt, I want you to get the right mindset before you make this decision. There are many enthusiasts out there who take on the project thinking it's simple and it won't cost a lot, then not realising end up selling it as it becomes out of scope, time and cost. You may down right just get sick of the damn thing after hours upon hours, days upon days of working on it with no end in sight. God knows I have and it's members like Lurch who smack some sense back into me to get the damn thing on the road. A little more about my project. I've spent a shiverload and that's just the body of the thing and basically getting it roadworthy and working properly. Not even mentioning modifying the zed, which is future plans. Even then I'm looking at about 3-4k full suspension overhaul. Another 1-1.5k for diff conversions, depending on diff. Maybe the same for front brake upgrade. It's a big commitment after all it is a "fairlady" Z. Just want you to know what your getting into. It's not honky dory and happy tales until the project is complete and that's a long way a way. Quote
Bigfella Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 Thanks guys that is great advice. I am looking for a long term project not something that is finished in a year.. I may have to spend a bit more than I first planed. It just means it will be longer before I get started. I will have save a few more pennies first. Maybe Lurch you can hang onto you car for me for six months "yeah right". That give me pleanty of time to do my research and get the garage ready.. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.