Huw Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 hmmmm I just bought my carpets for the zed, $140 from Trufit, only problem is bit that goes behind seats (not deck) is for a later zed, and may need 'adjusting' .....but that's a job for after my Torts exam (2 hrs and counting!!) Anyway, besides that was just wondering what everyone used for insulation, will be sowing it/attaching it to the carpets to prevent rust and make removable..... I have a light'ish jute padding stuff quite like factory but don't think it will insulate well enough...does anyone have any suggestions? is the dynamat stuff good? worth the money? Any advice appreciated (although i think it sounds great w/o any trim or deadening gf might disagree :-)) Huw Quote
warrenz Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 Hi I used the stuff TruFit sell. Not sure if that is called Dynamat. I used the more expensive option they have with some sort of bituminous layer in the middle. Seems to be OK, but a bugger to cut. Ended up using the electric carving knife from the kitchen. Warren Quote
sco_aus Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 Have you got any contact details for TruFit and how much for the insulation? Cheers Scott Quote
warrenz Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 Hi I cannot find my receipt but my file says carpet and underfelt for $320 (back in 2003). I bought 2 rolls of underfelt/sound deadner and seem to recall carpet was around $250. Was not that happy with carpet, fit was OK but the trim they used on the edging was not what I expected and looked a little cheap. The edge trim has now faded in the rear hatch section and it has a join in it, which I would prefer was not there. If I was doing carpet again I would go to a Motor Trimmer, but for a relatively cheap solution they are OK. The contact details are:- TRU-FIT MOULDED CAR CARPET Coburg 73 Sydney Rd 3058 (03) 9383 3833 Dandenong U1/ 6 Airlie Ave 3175 (03) 9792 2333 Cheers Warren Quote
sco_aus Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 Cheers Warren, the interior looks like sh!t on mine, so anything is better. Quote
Jimbo Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 G,day all, I used a rubber mat with raised sections in it for insulation so if the floor gets wet, it keeps the carpet off the floor & the carpet does,nt get wet & also lets the floor dry out!! i got the rubber matting from Clarke Rubber... Jimbo... Quote
Azon Posted June 6, 2006 Posted June 6, 2006 G' date='day all, I used a rubber mat with raised sections in it for insulation so if the floor gets wet, it keeps the carpet off the floor & the carpet does,nt get wet & also lets the floor dry out!! i got the rubber matting from Clarke Rubber... Jimbo...[/quote']Interesting idea.... but it will be really hard for water to evaporate through rubber mats?? unless you setup some sort of vent oppennings.. :shock: I also like Huw's idea of attaching the sound deadenning to the carpet - that way you would be able to remove it for track days - should be a considerable weight saving. Quote
Huw Posted June 6, 2006 Author Posted June 6, 2006 Warren, is that matting you bought a tar based one or is it similar to the old jute padding, ie. is it a thick greyish carpet with a denser backing? (i have some of that from Vyfab and have used on firewalls)... Another reason for wanting it removable, rather than using sticky tar stuff (apart from track stuff :-)) is for drainage reasons, if it gets wet i can take them out to dry and remove the plug without worrying about moisture getting under the rubber layer (cause the car always flexing slghtly)... one of the motivating factors for this is seeing everything when i stripped the factory layer of my floors and rear deck....little patches of rust (admittedly only surface) everywhere.... Huw Quote
warrenz Posted June 7, 2006 Posted June 7, 2006 Hi No it is not sticky tar, it is grey (looks a bit like the stuff removalists wrap furniture in) on both sides but the centre has this stiffer tar like layer. It comes out easily and you could stick it to the carpet. When my heater leaked coolant it soaked it up and a few days in the sun it dried out. The carpet never got wet. Warren Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.