Administrators gav240z Posted April 15, 2006 Administrators Posted April 15, 2006 Hey everyone, I finally got my triple Mikuni's. I'm very happy with them so far they appear to be in good condition. The previous owner of them told me his engine specs which were very close to my engine, so I think I might stick them on and see how I go. Does anyone know of a Mikuni specialist here in Australia? or Melbourne? I'm probably going to need jets, venturi's, chokes and what I really want is velocity stacks. http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=12 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=13 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=14 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=15 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=16 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=17 http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=18 Quote
NZeder Posted April 15, 2006 Posted April 15, 2006 Cool Gav - bet you are happy. Just a bit of advice I was told so I will pass it on. In your pics I see you have three leaver arms (one for each carb) I have been told the carbs will stay in sync better if you only use 1 drop leaver arm and then 2 sync/balance joiner. Cheers Mike Quote
lambs Posted April 15, 2006 Posted April 15, 2006 V/stacks will be the easy part....Mikuni/Solex, Webber and Dellorto all use the same bolt pattern. Spare parts for Mikuni/Solex will be the hard part as they've been out of production for more than 10 years. When I was still using mine as carb's I got parts from the distributor in Qld, but they haven't handled Mikuni/Solex for years. There used to be a Toyota specialist in Richmond that had some parts, plus there's a Datsun Fairlady roadster specialist I know that might have some. Parts can still be had from the US, but aren't cheap: http://www.toysport.com/catalog/Mikuni%20Carburater.htm Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted April 19, 2006 Author Administrators Posted April 19, 2006 Cool Gav - bet you are happy. Just a bit of advice I was told so I will pass it on. In your pics I see you have three leaver arms (one for each carb) I have been told the carbs will stay in sync better if you only use 1 drop leaver arm and then 2 sync/balance joiner. Cheers Mike Yes I'm not sure what I'll do yet from the looks of it there might be some mucking about with the throttle linkage. Otherwise I may have mounted them already. I also need to work out how to adapt the fuel line to the carbs but that seems easier. I'd need to see a pic of exactly what your referring to, to properly understand what your recommending. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted April 19, 2006 Author Administrators Posted April 19, 2006 V/stacks will be the easy part....Mikuni/Solex' date=' Webber and Dellorto all use the same bolt pattern. Spare parts for Mikuni/Solex will be the hard part as they've been out of production for more than 10 years. When I was still using mine as carb's I got parts from the distributor in Qld, but they haven't handled Mikuni/Solex for years. There used to be a Toyota specialist in Richmond that had some parts, plus there's a Datsun Fairlady roadster specialist I know that might have some. Parts can still be had from the US, but aren't cheap: http://www.toysport.com/catalog/Mikuni%20Carburater.htm[/quote'] Yeah I've seen a couple of sites in the US that supply jets, venturis etc.. and there not overly expensive. The good thing is these carbs were running on an engine very close to my specs of my current motor. The only real difference was a slight overbore .30 thou or so. So I might just need slightly different jetting. You said when you were still using yours as carbs? Are you now running them as FI? :wink: Quote
lambs Posted April 19, 2006 Posted April 19, 2006 You said when you were still using yours as carbs? Are you now running them as FI? :wink: Yes, Motec, for about the last 10 years I suppose. Before that, Injec for a few years. Quote
Rod F Posted April 21, 2006 Posted April 21, 2006 I love a set of carbs, the noise at full throttle will be awesome! :twisted: The manifold runners seem very short in the pics. Good for top end HP i've heard. Quote
NZeder Posted April 23, 2006 Posted April 23, 2006 Not mikuni carbs but webers in this pic but this should show you what I mean by using just one drop leaver. Sorry the fuel line are in the way so you can't see the balance joiners http://www.zclub.org.nz/album_picm.php?pic_id=151 Compair the above setup to the one shown in this pic and you can see the three drop leavers on this pic vs the one on the above setup http://www.zclub.org.nz/album_picm.php?pic_id=149 Also if you have a look at this URL and select the balance joiner. http://www.speed-technology.com/efi_linkages.html Hope this help explain what I am on about Quote
brent240 Posted May 2, 2006 Posted May 2, 2006 Hi Gav, I've been looking at getting some triples for my zed as well - for throttle response, power - and the noise. Just out of curiousity, do you have a rough idea of the % power gains you will get from putting these on? your using standard 240 carbs at the moment? Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted May 2, 2006 Author Administrators Posted May 2, 2006 I have absolutely no idea what triple carbs will do for performance on my current engine. My current motor is as follows. L28 Block Flat Tops. Early E88 head with N42 size valves. Port Work (To what extent I'm unsure). Mild Cam (Don't know the specs not too lumpy). ZX Distributor. 240z SU's with richer needles for L28. The motor goes fairly well with the SU's. However it runs out of puff around 6000rpm. I would imagine the Triple Mikuni's would allow it to breathe alot better up top and improve throttle response and as you kindly noted give her a bit of induction roar . However the reason I bought the Triples was because I'm building an L31 stroked L28. This motor although not confirmed will be something like this. - Wild camshaft profile Schneider 300 Degree's of Duration .560 Lift. - L28 with .120 thou overbore - LD28 Crankshaft - L20 or L14 or FJ20 rods - Custom Pistons - Extensive Port Work - Larger stainless valves - Possibly rewelded engine head - Port matched manifolds. On this motor I suspect the Mikuni's will really come to life and this is where they will make all the difference in power difference. I'd say that Triple 40's would be fine on my current engine as an upgrade and that SU's would probably be the perfect solution for mild - medium wil d L28's driven on the street and even for racing. It's all part of a system when you build a motor for most I'd say the SU's are adequete unless your racing or building a wild motor like I am. It's not uncommon for people to build 280HP L28's with SU's. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted May 2, 2006 Author Administrators Posted May 2, 2006 Sorry about the long winded answer but there's not really a straight answer. I would guess 30HP gain at the most on my current motor. The best way to find out is a dyno tune :wink: . Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted May 2, 2006 Author Administrators Posted May 2, 2006 Not mikuni carbs but webers in this pic but this should show you what I mean by using just one drop leaver. Sorry the fuel line are in the way so you can't see the balance joinershttp://www.zclub.org.nz/album_picm.php?pic_id=151 Compair the above setup to the one shown in this pic and you can see the three drop leavers on this pic vs the one on the above setup http://www.zclub.org.nz/album_picm.php?pic_id=149 Also if you have a look at this URL and select the balance joiner. http://www.speed-technology.com/efi_linkages.html Hope this help explain what I am on about Hi Mike, thanks for the pictures I had a feeling that was what you meant. So are all the shafts joined through all the carbs? Then you have 1 single lever that controls all the butterflies? I haven't mounted the Triples yet because of the throttle linkage situation. Do you know where I can get a kit like this from? Would save me the headache of fabricating one for my car. That speed technology set up really is a marvel, you have done well with it I'm very jealous :wink: . Quote
NZeder Posted May 3, 2006 Posted May 3, 2006 Hi Mike' date=' thanks for the pictures I had a feeling that was what you meant. So are all the shafts joined through all the carbs? Then you have 1 single lever that controls all the butterflies?[/quote'] Yes that is idea a single lever to control all the butterflies Do you know where I can get a kit like this from? Would save me the headache of fabricating one for my car. hmm - any Weber supplier or then there are the ones that Speed Technology make - these should work if you have enough shaft sticking out from the carbs That speed technology set up really is a marvel' date=' you have done well with it I'm very jealous :wink: .[/quote'] Mate all I need is an engine to match now :wink: Cheers Mike PS re the quote issue you are having with the version of phpbb2 you are running (I assume 20 given this seems to happened with version 20) see this URL for a solution http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=382680 Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted May 3, 2006 Author Administrators Posted May 3, 2006 Thanks Mike you were correct I did upgrade to 2.0.20 with all the other changes I've made. I was thinking the quote problem was something I did with all the changes I made to the phpBB source code. The only problem is it only calls the function to set up the quotes when you post so any posts that were made will need to be edited and posted again. :wink: Quote
brent240 Posted May 4, 2006 Posted May 4, 2006 Thanks for in depth response Gav, I guess it was a fairly open sort of question. My motor is a pretty mild L24 (it has a crow cam in it, a little head work, standard SU's and ignition). From what i have read headers and a set of triples would help it breathe better throughout the rev range and especially at the top end. It is probably overkill for the motor but apart from the ignition there isnt much else to upgrade. Right now it is making reasonable power - a bit of a slouch of the line though :oops: hope the carbs tune up well, cheers. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted May 10, 2006 Author Administrators Posted May 10, 2006 Well this sorta confirms what I was saying about little gains on a lightly modded engine. Check out this post on classiczcars.com http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173732#post173732 Mind you 120rwkw on a L24 is still pretty good. He does mention that it has more torque and breathe's alot nicer. :wink: Brent I would be looking at a 3.9 rear end or 4.11 rear end coupled with a 260z 2 seater box, that will get her moving quick. If you also recurve the distributor you'll be pleasantly suprised. that is if you haven't already. The standard 280zx curve is pretty lazy. :roll: Quote
Natez Posted May 10, 2006 Posted May 10, 2006 a 3.9 is good a 4.11 is better but massively decreases top speed, but i like my license anyway.... gav, that car is awesome very nice indeed, mmm look how low that is with the shorted struts, and the adjustable suspension... mmm... love it soon will have that done... Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.