260 z 2+2 buyers guide

shelldrake

Hey guys,

I'm sure you're all sick of this question but I tried the search function and was pretty un-successful. I've been checking out a few zeds for my brother to buy and we found one that's within his price range but want to know if it's gonna be

a: value for money

b: realistic to fix it faults

c: Be pretty reliable

It was resprayed in 2 pack about 4 months ago and looks pretty nice except for about three runs in it. It has small(thumb size) rust spots at the top left and right of the hatch channel. minor bubbling on the bottom corner of the passenger side door. Another small bubble starting on the left of the pillar near windscreen. Motor is from a 280. Carbies are from a 240. Automatic box. Rubbers are mostly cactus. Dash has had some vinyl glued to it(would love to get it reskinned). Centre console is cactus. Door trims and seats need attention too. Do zed wreckers usually have consoles? Door trims? Or are they rare undamaged? What's the chances of getting a 5speed box, tailshaft, manual pedal assy, etc to suit cheaply enough? Should we just be happy with the auto? Front end bushes also need replacement. For 2.5k is the price right?

Having an racv inspector check it out on friday anyway, but a heads up would be great!

Thanks in advance guys.

• Administrators

Hi there,

To me it sounds as though your convinced it's not a great car just based on the description you have given. The best way to evaluate a vehicle over the net is by pictures they often say a thousand words.

I'd be wary of a car with a recent respray as it sounds from the description like it was a quick fix up and sell job. Hence the rust spots that are evident and coming back.

Auto's can be a pain in the butt to convert simply because it can be hard to source all the manual gear if you don't know where to look.

Given the fact that 2+2's in Auto can be found quite often. I would narrow my search for an original vehicle with original paint and minimal rust. I would be looking at one with only a couple of owners and a known history. Rust and bodywork is the biggest expense on these cars and all other parts are relatively easy to aquire.

260z's are easier to source items such as consoles and dashboards in good condition and often not that expensive.

There was a nice looking 2+2 in sky blue on ebay a little while ago. Went for $3k with minimal rust in the spare wheel well. There are cars out there you just have to be patient.

Personally from my experience I would avoid this car and keep looking. The right car will eventually show up and you will be very glad you waited.

places to check often.

www.tradingpost.com.au

www.ebay.com.au

www.ozdat.com

www.ndsoc.com.au

Good luck!

Keep looking and don't waste any money on RACV inspections. Rust appearing after only 4 months from a respray says the job was not done properly and the worst is yet to re-appear. On top of that, interior sounds like it needs a lot of work....in fact the whole thing sounds like it needs a lot of work.

The guy seems genuine enough. The rust spots that are appearing are my main concern. the engine seems to run well and the interior will be ok if the work is done by my bro and I. The manual option would just be nice later down the track. I checked out scotts old auto rubber for replacement seals. Seems pretty reasonable. I'm getting a comprehensive report on the car Friday. See how it goes...

every seller you see will appear genuine, The family my mum bought her 2004 astra from looked genuine, but last week we found out that car had a major colision in its life, (was repaired properly thou) we were told only 1 owner, but its had 2... and weren't told about the smash...

my personally opinion is to stay away, and don't even bother getting a report...... espcially that this one has rust appering after 4 months, believe me and the other guys rust is the biggest problem in these cars, and its best to find out without rust in the first place//// and the seals weren't evan changed when he got a respray, shows a owner....

theres plenty of good condition 2+2s around for decent prices... for 3k you should be able to find a pretty decent one with a good sound body... and decent mechanicals and good interoir..

Is it your first one that you have looked at...

yeah, it is. I may have already sourced out a complete interior in black for about 400....Just checking the trading post and the usual spots though and they don't seem as common in decent condition as you guys think. At my price range anyway. We'll see what happens friday...

check ebay.com.au theres a brown one there, for a decent price...

im sure theres not a alot of them out there that are beautiful, but im sure from what you have described, there is a few more honest and less dodgy ones out there... imo....

Hi,

Don't jump at the first one you see unless it is perfect. If you are happy with a 2+2 then they come up all the time. It took me over a year to find a 240 that I was happy to buy and I was first in line (I missed one because I was 30 minutes too late.)

Unless you can do all the rust repairs yourself you would be looking at a couple of thousand + painting if you were to pay someone to do it.

Speaking from experience what rust you can see is only part of the story, the more you look the more you find and what starts as a minor repair suddenly becomes a lot lot more.

that's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Warren

hi guys probably late for this but just try and give some light to shelldrake

ive bought my 260 2+2 about 2 years ago. all i can say i was lucky with it.

i didnt know much about 260z or actualy any z except the zx variants.

and i bought the first one i have seen.prob mistake but a lucky one.

i was after an old classic to do up i was getting sick of the new cars. cops always on ur back for moding ur car. so i decided to get eaither mazda rx4/929 coupe or datsun 260z. couldnt find a mazda and there were few zeds. my price range was as low as possible down to 1k mark. preferably not runing as i was planing to put new twincam turbo engine in it.

most at the time were defected except one. the one i got.

body seemed traight behind 5 coats of stuffed paint and half striped roof interior was all there but all stuffed. except rear trims. had sunroof rear bar was deleted which i didnt like....etcc. engine was shot head removed and 2cm of rust in the bores. Perfect. asking price was $950.

got it down to $600 and deal was done.

till about a week later there were few more 260z on the market with new suspension etc... and better interior for 1k mark. i was bit disaponted. :twisted:

when i started working on it and after joining a local forum i found few other things. that 260z 2 seater also exsists and look lot better than 2+2 and i learnt the differences between them all now and i wished mine was 240 or 260 2 seater.

but still happy with mine cause what ive seen after, mine was stil lin very good condition. front chassis rails were perfect no rust at all same as firewall. roof had few spots nothing major and rear beaver panel was also rust free and rear hatch. had few spots on the floor and driver side chasis rail under the seat has been replaced with new one had rust through it. otherwise perfect.chasis dimension all checked out so it wasnt stressed or twisted.

though i have all the tools and now how it wasnt a problem to fix.

long story short take ur time look carefully at all common rust spots if u dont know where then ask ask the boys here they will know every location. same as me.

so just take ur time dont buy fresh painted car that has rust coming out of it. its shonky job.

ive painted mine almost a year ago no rust at all showing anywhere.

well it cant cause i cut it all out and replaced with new panels. the only way to get rid of rust..

ill post some pics of the car on the other section.

im looking for 240z now to buy to restore to original specs (as i feel bad now for modding mine to bits) only shell is 260z 2+2.

and ive seen lot of them but im very carefull with it. people ask lot of money just becuse its 240. but they were rust buckets not worth the plates that they were on them.

so im taking my time and waiting for the right one.

good luck with it 8)

Damn...Had the car inspected the other day. The worst of it was probably the heater disconnected,(I suspect from dodgy heater core) and their was a few dents in the chasis rail. The guy inspecting said that it wouldn't get a rwc without heater and with the dents(i should walk away). With that the seller dropped his price to 1000. I told him I'd give him 1200 if he included every spare part, manuals and his advertising bits and pieces. We're making the deal tomorrow. Taking it down to someone who knows them well on monday for the full verdict. Let you know how i go. I probably should say no...but the price seems right....

• Administrators

Im not sure how mechanically inclined you are but if your taking this on as a first resto project I'd definately walk away.

Dents in the chassis rails arn't uncommon, even my 240z has one on the left hand side which when the time comes I'll straighten out. However I think you might be rushing in a little.

What I always go with and would recommend others to is gutt instinct. If it doesn't feel right don't do it. If you still decide to go ahead we are all here to help you along the way. :wink:

I've been doing up a 74 celica for some time now. Converted it from auto to manual, took it off the road to build a better motor for it. Varios other modification and restoration on it. Collected better panels here and there and I'm just looking for somewhere to get it sprayed now. But yeah, there's so many things that are involved in a car restoration that you don't realise at the time of purchase....

Thanks for your offer on the help. I'm sure I'll be searching through the forums and reading the workshop manual a fair bit. We'll see how things pan out.

So..I brought the car to warren at Zworx and he thinks it's a bit of a steal for the money. I'm only chasing a few bits and pieces now(I'll place an ad in the classifieds). Me and my bro are pretty keen to get this up to scratch we just got a new black carpet set from tru-fit and a whole heap of new rubbers too! Not to mention the trim, wheels, seats,etc warren sorted for me while I was there.

lol if u got that for $1200 u did damn well.

it looks good just keep a close look at those reapearing rust bubles and treat them asap. if paint is good elsewhere than u shouldnt have problems matching the colour since its still fresh. probably be good to do it now if u can to stop it from spreading.

when i think about it mine was a bucket with multiple colours and shagged interior and motor for 600. ill pay the 1200 for that one as well.

i ended up getting a 240z as well last week so my hunt is also over.but i got more problems with mine.mine doesnt run and it has 2 yellow stickers on the windscreen lol.

now i got to get my workshop cleaned and sorted out and bring my 260z 2+2 in and start putting things back into it. the fun part.

cant wait ot hit the road with it.

anyway good luck let me know how much they slug u for the rear hatch rubber for the glass. im after one as well. after the easter break i have to visit rare spares last quote i got from them was $149 for the rear rubber.