VG30DETT?

Aaron Neubauer

I've looked around a bit on the net without much luck.  Generally finding comments like "the turbos didn't fit so I made a VG30DE instead".  I know they're good motors and had a bit of research done on them, apparently Nissan tuned the length of the intake runners........

Has anyone every seen a VG30DETT crammed into a zed?

Saw one in a british car mag a last october, Retro Cars.

Was a white one with imsa style flares.

http://www.retrocarsmag.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=7

Had a bit of a search on hybridz.org, but it seems most people go for the single cam turbo (VG30ET) instead of the dual cam, as its  cheap (in the USA) and easier to make it fit, or they just drop a V8 in them.

, or they just drop a V8 in them.

This is such a more sensible option. Sourcing one of these engines might be easy and cheap because of their poor reputation. Ubsolute buggers these older nissan efi engines are. One niggly miss could be one of a thousand sensors. And there are only usually cheap replacements available that are guaranteed to fail before you sort the problem out anyway.

Now an LS1 in a Z is like two girls kissing. ;)

the Z32 VG30DETT are good motor and did see few Z  in OZ with one. though while its out. make sure all the water pipes and all the hoses are replaced with new ones to save the hassle later.

the more easier install would be the VG30DET out of Cima or the likes. single turbo. still claimed 208kw but bit simpler than the VG30dett.

other than that u can go for VQ30DET. the new series engine similar to 350Z. ive seen this very cheap in front cuts. newer engine and better fuel economy wth slightly more power.

the old Z31 v6 engines well getting old and electronics cause few intermittent issues which can be hassle tracking down.

The VG30DETT got a bad rep from being crammed into a tiny engine bay with two turbos and nowhere to get rid of all the heat.  Apparently they're a very good engine in anything else.  As for niggly electrical problems, if it were me I'd do it properly and go straight for an aftermarket computer straight away and get rid of all of the factory stuff.

The VG30DETT got a bad rep from being crammed into a tiny engine bay with two turbos and nowhere to get rid of all the heat.  Apparently they're a very good engine in anything else.  As for niggly electrical problems, if it were me I'd do it properly and go straight for an aftermarket computer straight away and get rid of all of the factory stuff.

There was a workshop in town (closed some years ago) that built one up with 500HP at the treads apparently without opening the engine, it had the number plates "blade".  The used to comment heat dispersion was the hardest thing to get right on a 300ZX.  The unique autosports 'slot car' is another good example.

I was looking into a VG30DETT because I can get a half cuts roughly $1000 cheaper than an RB25DET.

I know there is a convertible zed proclaimed as "the most powerful Zed in oz" on youtube with vids of dyno runs at autosalon.

i got pics on my wall at my workshop with a dett in an s30, with also an r33 subframe rearend.

its inthere, but just, but you can do anything you like with enought time OR money?????

hell my vh45 fits in my enginebay!!!!, and its just a bit longer than the z32 dett motor.....

go for it, but be warned and or prepared.

nat0

The VG30det is an awesome motor, I have one in my z32. 

It did develop a bad reputation.  This is largely because a bunch of teenagers figured they could import a 15 yo import from Japan for $10k in unknown condition and then just drive it around without really knowing what the maintenance history etc was.

The radiator fitted in the z32 TT is, IMO, too small for Australian conditions.  The Euro market got a thicker one.  Also, the under-plenum water pipes are a 100,000 km service item, and often they didn't get done (again, people believing what they read on their odometers).  However, upgrade the radiator, and re-route the water lines directly from the turbos, and the motor is bulletproof.

In factory form, it has more torque and is more driveable than the rb26dett (which I have in my r32 GTR).  As an engine, it is fantastic.  It is also quite short, which gives it an advantage over (say) a straight-six in terms of weight distribution.

If you were to do a conversion, you would DEFINITELY want to replace all injector seals, cam seals, new gaskets, and re-route water lines (using EFI hose works a treat) and do as much maintenance as you can while the engine is out on a stand, because once it's in the car it's near impossible.

HOWEVER

If I were choosing a conversion motor for a 260z, I wouldn't go with the vg30dett (or even the DE for that matter).  It is just too wide.

If I was going for a v8, I would try to find one that was much narrower (the LS1 etc are pushrod motors and have narrower heads) or alternatively stick with the well trodden rb path.  GTR motors are no longer prohibitively expensive.  rb25's are great value (hell, I'm seen some fantastic conversion kits for sale on here).

My 2c.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

A VG30dett will fit snugly in the engine bay - the real issue seems to be around steering shaft clearances with the manifold on that bank.

Apparently a neat trick is to swap the turbos right to left and they seem to sit better under the manifolds.

I was going to go down this path and have plenty of shots of sengine mounts etc, but at the end of the day, the steering shaft issue seems a little too big for me.

Good luck though.

Mick