Editing Software - need some help guys!?????

Toecutter

Hi Fella's,

I've had some issues with getting Premiere Pro 6.5 on the HD footage I have from Thredbo in that I have to convert it to AVI's and it's a pain with a lot of freeze's. I've got a full version of Pinnacle Studio 12 Ulimate (thanks Ash) and works a treat with TS files from HD but for some reason the whole program has no sound. Not sure why. Tried to install twice with no luck getting sound, tried for hours to rectify it, no luck.

Anyhow after doing a comparison between a few formats it appears that PREMIERE PRO CS4 is the way to go. Can anybody help me on this one if you know what I mean, hoping to find a full install!?????

Another one I've looked at it Sony Vegas Pro but better to stick with the Adobe as I'm familiar with 6.5.

Thanks in advance.

Sulio

h264 is teh way to go. But if you have no sound, it could be that Pinnacle doesn't support or cannot recognise your sound card - maybe do a driver update on the soundcard, it may fix it.

Personally Final Cut is my preference, but if you're on PC Adobe Prem is fairly similar and probably the next best option. I have CS2 I think, I'll have to double check when I get home. If you still have issues PM and we'll try sort something out.

Avid is also a good solid package, but fairly $$$

codec hell.

The camera that you shot the thredbo stuff with probably uses a propriety codec for its audio. (  p2 cameras do for an example ).

In the p2 example : Works fine in premier cs3+ out of the box but any other editing software needs the codec to be installed( bought from raylight  >:( ) to allow the audio to be read properly.

6.5 premiere might just be too old for the newer codec to be bundled. I know that this happens with Fraps based movies and p2 based footage. Just something to try.

h264 is teh way to go. But if you have no sound, it could be that Pinnacle doesn't support or cannot recognise your sound card - maybe do a driver update on the soundcard, it may fix it.

Personally Final Cut is my preference, but if you're on PC Adobe Prem is fairly similar and probably the next best option. I have CS2 I think, I'll have to double check when I get home. If you still have issues PM and we'll try sort something out.

Avid is also a good solid package, but fairly $$$

The files imported from the camera are TS files (Transport Stream). I believe the new version of Pinnacle can cope with it but the sound issue is most likely system related as you have suggested. I also thought it might be a sound card issue, already tried a driver update and a few new codec installs. Not sure of the model but it's name appears under soundMAX in properties. I've got a Lenovo dual 2.4Gig processor with 2Gig of RAM so it should cope on the detiing front easily.

Looking at a editing comparison between about 10 different editing sweets Premiere Pro CS4 seems pretty good as far as running various HD formats including AVCHD so I'll try and get my hands on that.

Insert Quote

codec hell.

The camera that you shot the thredbo stuff with probably uses a propriety codec for its audio. (  p2 cameras do for an example ).

In the p2 example : Works fine in premier cs3+ out of the box but any other editing software needs the codec to be installed( bought from raylight  ) to allow the audio to be read properly.

6.5 premiere might just be too old for the newer codec to be bundled. I know that this happens with Fraps based movies and p2 based footage. Just something to try.

yer 6.5 is a bit old although it was fine for the older miniDV stuff. Have you got CS3 on a disc?

hmmm...just noticed PM's better check.

Sulio

Just upgraded to cs4 did a cross upgrade into macintosh though. ( Cheaper to cross-grade than to upgrade within windows spec ! we love you adobe and I beat the price rise to happen on march 30. )

So cant help you pc wise though.

Had this thought though : Transport stream cutter ? Cuts the ts stream and outputs to mpg. I dont know what it does to audio but it is free and small. Cant hurt to try.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Transport_Stream_Cutter.htm

I really don't think it is a codec issue as none of the sound from thre actual Pinnacle program works, ie demo sounds, tutorial video etc. The actual software actually has no sound. It imports the HD footage in really smoothly and the computer seems to wrok at a nice speed with no sign of freezing but just no sound in general. Not sure if I will and install it again from a fresh disc but I do like the look of Pinnacle in terms of really quick and easy editing. Premier feels alot more proffessional and I'm used to the functions but it seems you can avoid alot of the fussing about using Pinnacle.

Will keep a look out and try out a computer swap meet I know of this weekend.

Sulio

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the disc, works great. Just getting back to formats. PP CS3 does'nt support TS file format however I can convert the HD stuff to MPEG.2 to retain good quality. (I found H264 dropped a bit fromt he original quuality). Sound but no picture with the MPEG.2 files!???? Any tips?

Sulio

the quality on the h264 should be fine, did you bump up the bitrate?.. i would suggest reloading your audio drivers otherwise.

otherwise i use mp4 files or mov(using sorensen video 3 codec) theres to many options..

let me know how you go..

Ben