handbrake problem

mossy

is the car on a hoist?  if you are only changing the inner cable leave the outer on the car, 35 years of clips wedged in ,they dont come out easy makes it even harder when you cant get to them, clean them with wd40 blow them off with compressed air a few times wriggle them around a bit bit more wd40 a silent prayer for patience bit more compressed air and wd40, then get one of those old stanley square drive blue handled screw drivers and twist and lever them out, but remember you have to get them back in ,

After a heap of WD40 an hour of twisting the clips side to side and some colourful language I got the cable out and the other one in, but i can honestly say i never want to do that again >:(

I used the cable from my v8z since its not on the road yet but there is a guy locally who makes handbrake cables so I'm going to take the broken one there an he needs parts off the old one to rebuild it, i think its about $140.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I spent a long day doing maintenance on the 240z, am in the middle of replacing the rear wheel bearings, sourced them locally just need to press the old outer bearing off and the new one on. Also replacing the rear wheel cylinders, clutch slave cylinder and have taken the handbrake cable off to free it up so it will disengage properly. We have freed the cable up as best we can and had to cut some of the broken plastic coating off the inner cable where it was jamming. The outer cable is also broken at one end. we will try to fix it tomorrow by clamping it on the metal end piece with a small hose clamp. I think it will come out okay, but longer term I need a new cable.

My question is does anyone know where to source a new handbrake cable?

And Mossy, how did you get on getting one made up?

Thanks, any advice would be great.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Mossy, I will get mine back on for now (if I can what a job getting it off!) and will look into the replacement later. Please let me know if you get these guys to make your new one so I know how it goes.

Thanks

Regards

Peter