Dirt in MC

Hey fellas

The other day I was gearing up to bleed the 6 year old brake fluid out of the car and I noticed quite a bit of dirt in the MC.

Seeing that kind of put a massive halt on things and has left me wondering how far I need to go to get the brakes up to scratch.

Would you guys;

1. Bleed it all out and hope the dirt will actually pass through?

2. Rebuild MC, all wheel cylinders, and blow through all the brake lines?

3. Buy a late model Toyota and seek counselling?

• Moderators

The way I see it;

1: I would'nt try

2: If you can afford it, it's never a waste of time doing that.

3: Only attempt that when you are in your 70's (it has to be white)

Or you could just remove the reservoirs and clean them out and then just bleed the system.

Yes this is true unless you mortgage your home to pay for one from the States.  You can however easily get hold of a 15/16th MC from a Nissan Patrol MQ, but you will have to have your brake output pipes replaced/re bent (pretty cheap)to feed from the side instead of the bottom, but it does mean should you ever need to, you can bolt a 1" Patrol MQ master cylinder on with no problems. 

They come new from PBR and there are heaps around, I am getting a 1" (I have a Patrol 15/16th) from Autobarn, they reckon they have about 20 in stock lol.  I dont know the part number for the 15/16, but the 1" is JB1419.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Scott- it sounds like the way to go.  :)

So the 1" MC will deliver slightly more fluid than the 15/16"? And they will both bolt up in line with the re-routed fuel lines?

Are the Patrols wheel cylinders/calipers/rotors the same as the 280zx then?

Any other Nissans share the same components to keep the price down?

They will bolt up with re routed brake pipes (the metal ones that currently bolt into the bottom of the Master and feed the brakes).  They feed from the bottom atm, but they feed from the side on Patrol MC.

JB1430 sounds about right yeh.

The 1" will firm the brakes up a lot, so its really only if you upgrade your 280 brakes, the 15/16 will be fine for most stuff.  I dont know about Patrol brakes,  I doubt it, but you never know unless you try.

The Patrol masters do bolt straight to the booster though, so no probs there.

Dirt & contiminants in Master cylinders is common on cars that have been neglected....If your car has a good pedal, then you may be throwing your money away by replacing the Master Cyl.....If it was mine, Id suck out all the old fluid, including the dirt, fill with new fluid, & then bleed/flush the system. If you have an air compressor at home, then go to repco and buy a vacuum bleeder...mate they are brilliant for sucking up fluids and crap from anywhere....it will be one of the most useful tools youll ever buy !

anyway, replacing your master is also a good option, just a lot more expensive than an extra bottle of fluid ! lol

hehe....you guys are nuts.

I actually did my trade as a Brake Mechanic......flushed a trillion systems through...so dont stress about it mate, its no big deal. leave the Master in place, but suck the fluid out of the resevoirs with anything you can find....after that you could even remove the resevoirs from the master cylinder body and wash them out properly with water (make sure you let them dry out completely though !), and wipe out any excess dirt in the Mast Cly openings. Replace everything, refill with nice clean fluid, and bleed through. Do the furthest wheel first, and do about 10 or 12 pumps AFTER the fluid becomes clear....dirt wont get caught in the seals. Work your way to the closst bleeder and youre done. No rocket science really !

Having said all that, I have seen master cylinders give up after a fluid flush, but its uncommon.

Let us know how you go mate !

• Moderators

If you want something effective to suck brake fluid out, I found a huge syringe from a vet at Caulfield Racecourse. This sucker has a capacity of around 120cc. When I was doing the RACV thing, I had a job at the vets next to the racecourse and just out of curiousity asked about the big syringes, and they told me "$3 each". Bought 3 of them. Go to vets that deal with horses, you should have some luck there.

• 4 weeks later...