r32 4 pot front and 2 pot rear conversion

• 1 year later...

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.

Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

yes ive read the warning, and this is all i could find in the search.

has anyone actually done a front and rear r32 caliper conversion for the 240z? using only 240z parts not machined 260z hubs?? im looking in doing this for my 240z cause the drums dont look nice, also i want stopping power aswell. i have considered 280zx rear brakes but i rather something beter. i have message SWR and now awaiting a reply. if anyone has done this conversion please PM or post back.

• Moderators

If the R32 rear calipers are the same as the Z32 two piston rears, it has been done but the problem is, you will lose the handbrake. The Z32 has the internal drum (inside the disc hat) for the park brake and if you don't run that with the zed, you will have to rig up a hydraulic handbrake setup; ie clutch master cylinder under the car to apply pressure to the rear calipers (not road legal tho). Member Nzeder I think has done an internal rear drum in the disc handbrake setup...

most of the newer nissans have the integrated "banksia" style handbrake (effectively a drum setup inside the bell of the disk brake in addition to the normal caliper).

SWR do a conversion (had it done on my 240K) that uses the calipers and banksia brake setup for a commodore/falcon (can't remember which), and Techno toy tuning in the states sells a new rear upright that allows you to use the complete skyline/300zx rear end (including hubs, brakes etc).. i am going to eventually go with that

• 10 months later...

8th post from the top on this page are pics of what I did to mine:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2662.120.html

R33GTS-T calipers (almost identical to R32 GTR).  DBA 326x30 2-piece discs.  Custom hats.  Custom mounts.  17 inch wheels.

Wheel size will depend on the size of the disc you go for.  16's are a perfect fit if using the same size disc as a GTR.  I wouldn't go smaller than 15's or the disc you need to fit in the rims will be too small to work properly with the calipers.

• Moderators

With my conversion, you must use 260Z hubs and machine the face (where the disc mounts to) by about 6-7 mm to center the disc in the caliper, re drill the disc to the same PCD as the hub (which isn't the same as the wheel studs) and machine out the disc hub to again suit the 260 hub. With the caliper, you must remove the threaded inserts in the mounting ears of the caliper and machine some aluminium "slugs" to press fit into the caliper mounts. Then with some careful measuring once you have mounted the disc on the hub and onto the axle, find where to drill the new holes into the caliper mounts. I have some pics which I hope make more sense.

post-801-14402359892_thumb.jpg

post-801-14402359893_thumb.jpg

I have done this but I used 2 piece discs so I could make the hats match the 240Z hubs.  Bad news is I got a quote on custom hats and it was $350 each.  Luckily I have a mate with access to a very well equiped workshop and it ended up costing me $90 for the alloy to make them out of :)

• 2 months later...

Would it be easier to use a fairly bigger disk so that you only need to get a bracket made up to space the caliper past the edge of the 260 hub and to any offset desired?

I have a R32 gts-t and I'm currently using a bracket as described to space the caliper out about 11mm from center with the same offset as stock to allow for R33 GTR disks. Ive almost finished parting out my R32 so I can build up a 260z 2+2 I just purchased. I'm thinking I should keep the brakes and was just told that I should also keep the rear shafts so I can convert to using the R32 handbrake.

Has anyone got an example of a hub converting bracket to do this?

Stewart Wilkins make a bracket that will mount Z32/R32 rear brakes to the S30 retaining the internal park brake drum in hat setup. You need all the rear brakes from the donor car, cables, shoes, shoe holder thing, springs for the shoes etc = keep everything from the car you have related to the rear brakes.

However the brackets are not cheap. I made my own internal drum setup using new parts from different cars - would I do it again? No I would just purchase these brackets from Stewart Wilkins - would have easier and cheaper than all the R&D for one off my setup.

Hi premo, I am looking at doing similar conversion using handbrake setup from r33na and z32 brakes. The reason for selecting these parts is that I have them left over from various conversions, so they are free!

I will be looking closer at how to mount the handbrake plate soon.  I have not held all the pieces together yet but I am thinking it will need a piece of plate steel, which convienently will also mount the calliper. When I get the chance I will upload photos of the "problem" and maybe you can think of better idea. Cheers