Arizona Z Car - Rear Brake Handbrake Redesign

Thanks Peter...I love the way you think !

The Brackets as MS (Mild Steel), for 2 main reasons - firstly its cheap to buy & cut, but the main reason is to maximise the strength of the 'fingers' that locate the Mechanical Spot Caliper in place. I am pretty sure that if I have made them from Alluminium Alloy, those fingers would fatigue & break in no time. The unfortunate downfall of using MS is that they are heavy !

Woza !

Hey Woza,

You seem fairly proficient at cad, have you considered doing a quick and dirty FEA (COSMOS or ANSYS) to determine if the bracket will hold up to a static load. (e.g. car parked on a steep hill).

I'd be happy to do this if you want. I have some spare time at work.

Off-topic but important, In your gallery I see you are using the AZC control arms, front and rear, I understood these were VERY illegal in all states of Australia for road use due to the use of rod-ends (often called rose-joints). I thought ADR and vehicle modification rules are very clear that any suspension pivot/joint other than ball joints, must be bushed. Bushings must be non-solid. e.g. non-metal.

Have you spoken to a Cert. Engineer about this?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep I have considered this, and have actually put all the standard supension arms etc back on the car for now. Once engineered & Past I will probably fit the bilet gear up occasionally for shows or similar, but for the most part will probably run the standard arms etc.

Its only a 2 hour job to change it all out so its not too much of an issue.

At this point I havent run a stress analysis on the bracket, but will get around to it at some stage.

Cheers

Warren

This design for the parking brake is not an original idea - and Wosa doesn't claim otherwise. It is just that he is applying it to the S30. It has been used on many modified and ICVs particularly in the US, UK and also in Australia. They can be purchased off-the-shelf for other vehicles.

If the concept has already passed engineering certification here in Oz several times I don't see there will be any capability issues. I have every confidence in the product.

The Kit will comprise of the Following :

- Caliper Brackets X2

- Handbrake Cable

- Handbrake Cable Mounting Brackets & Bolts

I will be Painting the brackets Satin Black as shown in the pics, but can provide them unpainted if required (for you to do your own colour Scheme)

Thats an awesome question.  Off to see my local engineer.

Scott,

Good Luck! I'd be interested to see what they say.

Are those AZC camber plates on your car? If not they are very similar. Have you spoken to your engineer about them? This is the one thing I have yet to find out about my planned setup.

Yep I have considered this, and have actually put all the standard supension arms etc back on the car for now. Once engineered & Past I will probably fit the bilet gear up occasionally for shows or similar, but for the most part will probably run the standard arms etc.

Its only a 2 hour job to change it all out so its not too much of an issue.

At this point I havent run a stress analysis on the bracket, but will get around to it at some stage.

Cheers

Warren

When it doubt, swap it out!

I actually have a question RE: AZC rear control arms. With the "mounting shaft" seen here: http://www.arizonazcar.com/q4531b.jpg (the gold coloured part). What is to stop it rotating around its axis. If you understand what I am saying...

Yes Mate, The AZC Camber plates are fitted to my car. I dont envisage too many problems getting them passed.

Yes, I know what you are talking about regarding the possible rotation of the suspension arm main shafts. Up utill last weekend I had these fitted to my car, and untill I fitted them, I was worried about the same thing. trust me, once they are tightened in place, they are impossible to move. Only a large impact of some sort would move them, but they wont move with everyday normal use.

Studying my Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering.

Currently on a work term as a research associate at an university doing Mech. Design, CAD, Drafting and Machining.

Yes Mate, The AZC Camber plates are fitted to my car. I dont envisage too many problems getting them passed.

Yes, I know what you are talking about regarding the possible rotation of the suspension arm main shafts. Up utill last weekend I had these fitted to my car, and untill I fitted them, I was worried about the same thing. trust me, once they are tightened in place, they are impossible to move. Only a large impact of some sort would move them, but they wont move with everyday normal use.

Thats kinda what I thought. I don't think I'd ever take them to a track tho :-\!

on the topic of control arms. I do like MM's RCA's http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=68.

Mainly because they use bushings the same size as your stock RCA's. I still can't figure out if the adjustability makes them illegal. Any thoughts?

I think I could make them for under $600USD however.

...Are those AZC camber plates on your car? If not they are very similar. Have you spoken to your engineer about them? ...

With the present perilous exchange rate you might be better off considering a local product (fronts and back) http://www.k-mac.com.au/ (click on "New Products" and then on "Datsun") I assume from their advertising that the items are street legal.

With the present perilous exchange rate you might be better off considering a local product (fronts and back) http://www.k-mac.com.au/ (click on "New Products" and then on "Datsun") I assume from their advertising that the items are street legal.

:'(

I know. All my money is in Canadian Dollars at the moment. I was about to buy all my US stuff when it was around 1:1. Then i had to change jobs, so I delayed and the dollar went to the crapper (Canadian is almost as bad as AUD).

I figure I'll leave a few grand in my Canadian bank account. When the bottom finally falls out of the barrel that is the US economy. I will strike while the iron is hot.

Mate its going to be a while....firstly, I need to do a road test.....thats sounds easy I know....but I dont have any wheels ! lol.....so I need to borrow some. They need to be 16inch min..They also have to have an offset that will clear the overhang that the 6 pot calipers have !

I have lined up someones wheels for next weekend, but I wont know if they are suitable untill I see them.

After a sucessful road test, I will then do a bulk order to help get costs down. If I do a bulk order (10 sets), it looks like the price for the kit will be around $500. This prototype set has cost me $630 to get made up , and thats excluding all the fuel used going back & forth....at least 3 tanks of juice ! lol

I wonder how many people will be keen on a kit now !!

Cheers mate,

Warren

Well I'm in on the group buy! But you'll have to send them to me in the uk if that's ok as the car will be going into a container in the next few weeks?

C

A couple of thoughts:

Wosa - considering jerryb's interest have you considered doing a writeup of this on HybridZ as a means of generating more orders. Plenty of its member have the Wilwood setup so they will already have the hats, rotors or main calipers. You might consider doing a full writeup (photos, etc) in the 'brakes' forum and then seek orders in the 'group buy' forum - include cross-referencing. Remind them how good their exchange rate is. Gee, I can remember saying that about us just three months ago!

Also - could others who have posted on this thread consider modifying or deleting posts which are not relevant.

PA

Peter.......Brilliant suggestion. I will wait however untill I have tested them, then after that Ill put something quite comprehensive together and post it on several Z Car sites. As you say, HybridZ will most probably be the best source for generating orders for a bulk buy, and obviously, the more I can get made at once, the cheaper it will be for everyone.

Yes...the dollar....quite depressing isnt it......A rye grin still comes to my face knowing I bought all my gear at 96 cents.....Not rubbing it in or anything !  ;)

Looking at some wheels to borrow this weekend...Im not sure they will be suitable though, but fingers crossed. Getting Closer !!!!

Woza