Arizona Z Car - Rear Brake Handbrake Redesign

a guy i know in sydney bought arizona z car brake kit complete front and rear asked dave for mechanical rear calipers ontop of std 4 spot calipers and dave supplied willwood mechanical calipers for handbrake so he can supply them i you want them

mick

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I would need to get the hats from somewhere and as AZC and JSK are the only ones who make them it could be a problem. Also I don't mind having the AZC bracket as it sounds like it may take a while for Woza to get everything sorted so at least I could get the car running even without the hand brake.

C

Hey Guys....

I am working on it as fast as I can.....here's what the handbrake cable connection is going to look like.....It may change slightly depending on suppliers etc etc (you wouldnt believe the running around you gotta do !) anyway, please excuse the 3D model, there is still a lot of work to do to clean it up (detail) - I'm just concentrating on the stuff that matters right now.

Warren (Woza01)

Nice.. I like ;D What software are you running?

C

Not so. They are a Wilwood stock item, #170-1754

Are the specs on that hat the same as the AZC as it may put the rotor in a slightly diffrent offset and Woza's caliper brakets may not align with it. The spec says 1.41" is there any chance you could mesure your AZC hat Woza?

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/003-Hats/004-HD/hdsfmrh/index.asp

C

Are the specs on that hat the same as the AZC ...

The way I understand it, the AZC hats are the Wilwood hats - the same way many of his other items come from this supplier, http://www.nosms.com (I've bought parts direct from them). Dave is something of a middle man with some items. That's not a criticism, in fact he does a great job bringing it all together where you know everything matches up.

Hey All  ;D

I have been amazed about the interest in the new brackets thus far. They've even found their way onto Hybridz ! I have concerns however that members are going out and buying their Wilwood rear Brake kits AND the Spot calipers prematurely, based on the soon-to-be availability of the new brackets. I would just like to remind people that they are yet to be tested on the road, and need to prove themselves before I will make any available. This is simply a logical step that must be performed.

Having said all that, I do believe that they will work a treat, and I am looking forward to the time when I can say "OK Guys....orders please !

Ive hit another minor hurdle trying to locate the right clevis yokes and pins to suit the Spot Calipers...The lever arms are Hardened spring steel which cant easily be drilled to suit commonly available yokes....so it means more running around and googling ! It might end up in me getting them laser cut & bent along with the handbrake support bracket.

Anyway guys WATCH THIS SPACE !

Warren (Woza01)  :o

Hey All  ;D

I have been amazed about the interest in the new brackets thus far. They've even found their way onto Hybridz ! I have concerns however that members are going out and buying their Wilwood rear Brake kits AND the Spot calipers prematurely, based on the soon-to-be availability of the new brackets. I would just like to remind people that they are yet to be tested on the road, and need to prove themselves before I will make any available. This is simply a logical step that must be performed.

Having said all that, I do believe that they will work a treat, and I am looking forward to the time when I can say "OK Guys....orders please !

Ive hit another minor hurdle trying to locate the right clevis yokes and pins to suit the Spot Calipers...The lever arms are Hardened spring steel which cant easily be drilled to suit commonly available yokes....so it means more running around and googling ! It might end up in me getting them laser cut & bent along with the handbrake support bracket.

Anyway guys WATCH THIS SPACE !

Warren (Woza01)  :o

You can thank me for leaking the news to hybridz, i left little clues and people were like... "HOW WHERE" so i led them to this post. I hope you didn't mind Woza.

FuFu....no thats cool. Kinda exciting actually...just concerned about the fact that i was a little premature in posting the info. It does give me a good indication on interest though. To date that Hybriz Z member who was interested hasnt replied to yourt post

Peter - I will do that. I have also found some unseful contacts in my travels today...will follow them up too.

Thanks

Woza

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Charlie Boy...

Yep...made good progress today actually.....Finally found some suitable Clevis Yokes that match the Spot Caliper Lever perfectly. Also had a prototype set of handbrake cable brackets made up, which today I had bent into shape & Welded. By the end of the weeked all the hardware will be solid-mounted on my car, with all that remains to do is to go and get the handbrake cable finished off. Ill do that Friday next week.

After that, I need to find someone that I can borrow some wheels from, so that I can go for a drive, and test the handbrakes holding strength on some slopes etc.

So yeah...progress is happening! slowly but surely !

Watch this space !

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

Hey CB,

Yes mate...good progress....All done, complete, bolted & hooked up to the car. I am just trying to organise to borrow a set of wheels so I can go for my road test !!!

All seems good on the stands though - I applied the handbrake and tried to turn the wheel with a long crowbar - it holds great, and releases nicely upon release of the handbrake lever also, so all looking good.

heres a couple of pics showing the bracket & cable in position, without the discs or calipers in the way.

Let me know what you think guys !

Mate its going to be a while....firstly, I need to do a road test.....thats sounds easy I know....but I dont have any wheels ! lol.....so I need to borrow some. They need to be 16inch min..They also have to have an offset that will clear the overhang that the 6 pot calipers have !

I have lined up someones wheels for next weekend, but I wont know if they are suitable untill I see them.

After a sucessful road test, I will then do a bulk order to help get costs down. If I do a bulk order (10 sets), it looks like the price for the kit will be around $500. This prototype set has cost me $630 to get made up , and thats excluding all the fuel used going back & forth....at least 3 tanks of juice ! lol

I wonder how many people will be keen on a kit now !!

Cheers mate,

Warren

...I wonder how many people will be keen on a kit now !!

Woza - Count me in.

That's only $250 per side which is the same cost as three tanks of petrol. If the car is off the road for three weeks while I fit the brakes I will save that much in petrol - any longer and I am making money.

That's how I explained it to my wife and she agreed!

One question - are the brackets aluminium or steel?

Thanks Peter...I love the way you think !

The Brackets as MS (Mild Steel), for 2 main reasons - firstly its cheap to buy & cut, but the main reason is to maximise the strength of the 'fingers' that locate the Mechanical Spot Caliper in place. I am pretty sure that if I have made them from Alluminium Alloy, those fingers would fatigue & break in no time. The unfortunate downfall of using MS is that they are heavy !

Woza !