Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well we went for our drive the other weekend and since I was not planning on openning the hatch I thought I would try something. I got some 50mm insulation tape and taped up the rear hatch only along the bottom of the hatch near the lights & number plate. To my surprise the fumes were 100% gone when the window was down. Why was I surprised?

Because I had tried everything. I can tell you every hole was seal in or around the hatch. The exhaust tip was out from the body by 50mm. I even ran a soft sponge along the rim of the rubbers to ensure a real tight seal. So tight in fact I got cracks around the hatch latch because I had to push the hatch down so hard to click it in. Even filled in the side pillar air holes. etc etc. When the window is up I have no fumes what so ever which I reckon is great. But once that window goes down it's a different story like every 240/260.

So I thought I would try something different for a 3hr cruise on a nice sunny day knowing the window would be down sometimes. Anyway I thought I would let you know what a simple solution we actually have to such a pain in the butt problem. In future I will be getting the tape out for those day trips or even weekend trips because it only takes 5 minutes to put on and 10 seconds to take off. I figure a roll of tape will easily last me a year at the rate of my drives.

Now even happier motoring.  :-) Oh and no stinky clothes. You know what I mean.

  • Moderators
Posted

Excellent Craig.... I'll have to try it when I get my zed going again! At the last cruise, I had tears in my eyes every time I had my window open. Did you take any pics? Also, do you work on Cochranes Rd? I'm just further down next to BOC gases....I keep seeing your Teritory where you park it...

Posted

Hi Dimitri,

Yes that's my car parked in Cochranes Road. I didn't realise you were so close. Yeah my fume problem used to be real bad. It's OK now but the tape got rid of the last of it. Give it a go you will be surpised. No more head aches, drowsyness and smelly clothes. Got to be happy with that. We didn't take any pics but was a great cruise. Gave a couple of bikes a run through the spur at a quick rate. I thought they were going to come off there for a moment. Bugger that on two wheels business.

Posted

Sweet!  Thanks for doing the experiment. Fumes have driven me nuts also and I have also tried extra sealing around the hatch with no success.  I'll try fabricating a weather strip to seal the gap and let you know the results.

Posted

What I meant is 50mm wide insulation tape. Basically it runs the width of the hatch and is stuck on when the hatch is closed. The tape is stuck onto the rear hatch lip 5-10mm along the length of the hatch and the bottom part of the tape is stuck to the rear light surrounds and number plate light case.

I have tried the foam tape like you say and had it compressed against the rubber hatch lining with minimal results if any improvement as described in my original post.

Try the insulation tape and it will fix your problem. The only hassle is when you want to open the hatch. So if it's just a drive day not a problem. Or like I say a weekend with stuff in the back, if you can't be bothered accessing from inside the car then just take off the tape and re apply a new one when you head off again later. Bit of a hassle but the 2 minutes is worth it. Maybe a quick demo at the Jag meeting would be easier than explaining.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...