need some help with situating my harnesses please

ol_skl_jp

I just received two new 3 point harnesses from the states. I chose 3 point because it was just a straight swap. No need for harness bars and roll cages or similar expenses.

Well i tried to install them today but ran into some problems :-\

!st pic: Sparco don't recommend you have the belts like situated like that coz they slip

2nd pic: If i do have a high speed crash (god forbid) its gonna break my seat and i was told that it can also rip the bolt out.

3rd/4th pic: They are meant to be like this but theres to much slack in the upper belt and they also slip to one side.

I also bolted it on to the strut tower but i wouldnt trust that single bolt to save my life.

My question is where is another place i can mount these things, because i love them and dont want to get rid of them, but there doing my head in.

***moonstonebluZ*** - you also bought your Z recently yes??? if im thinking of the right Z.  i remember seeing harnesses in the sales ad for your car. If im right your, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing your responses

Sorry to say, but the way you have mounted the harnesses are just dangerous, if not lethal.

I would be putting the originals back in straight away before you or your passenger are serously hurt.

The only way to safely mount harness is to have the mounts for the shoulder straps fabricated to suit properly, generally on a cross brace fore the roll cage running between the towers, or to a suitable mount welded into the floor and then braced so if thge worst does happen you don't rip a hole in floor.

You want the shoulder straps at an angle of between zero and 30 degrees to the horizontal down and as short as possible. You also want the straps to be fixed, for a three point harness, directly behind you, for a four point, the shoulder straps are fixed directly behind the shoulders. And if you bolt them into anything use High Tensile bolts.

If you have them bolted in the way you have you will only succeed in killing yourself, or worse leaving yourself with a serious injury, like broken neck.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but to me this is a matter of life and death and having walked away from a couple of very serious impacts on the track due to good safety equipment this is one area I tend to spend my money on to get the best I can afford.

• Moderators

I think the only way you can do it safely is to make a strut brace/harness mount. As an example I can show you a pic of mine (its part of the roll cage but you can fabricate the part that bridges the strut towers. It was made by Brown Davis but you could easily copy it.

post-801-144023483372_thumb.jpg

No i appriciate the honesty, the main reason i bought these was for safety. I will probably end up putting in a half cage or harness bar.

zedman240 - do you have a full cage also how much am i looking at to get that done.

Cheers

Sach

• Moderators

Its a half cage (4 point) with intrusion bars. From memory cost was approx $1200? Was done few years ago so who knows how much now. Just be careful they don't dent your roof while they are installing the main hoop! Cage also helps prevent those cracks appearing above the quarter windows where the lead filling is. The back end on the zeds are a bit soft.

***moonstonebluZ*** - you also bought your Z recently yes??? if im thinking of the right Z.  i remember seeing harnesses in the sales ad for your car. If im right your, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing your responses

sorry mate, they were'nt in the car when i picked it up so i cant help you. I think he just had them sitting there looking pretty thank god!!

get yourself some fd rx7 seats, they are nearly a direct fit, looks fairly similar to the stock seats, and have slots for the belts like you need, and are faily cheap, like around $500 for a pair.

however unless u go to lots of effort you sit higher in them due to the fact they actully have padding lol. if you want you can come and and sit in mine and see if you'd be happy enough with the position.

Thanks zedevan... i was in doncastor just last week. i'll see if i can find some time to come down have a look got uni :-\.

When you say its nearly a perfect fit, what modifications have to be done to the seat/rails and can i do it myself?

Cheers

Sach