XYZ Posted January 22, 2016 Posted January 22, 2016 Hi all, Just introducing myself as a new member. My wife and I just purchased a 1976 260Z 2+2 and will slowly be restoring it over time. It seems to be in good nick with just a couple of rust spots so far as can be divined by our mechanic - it's in with our mechanic for a check over, tuning, and so on, so fingers crossed there. In time, it will be repainted, rectifying whatever mechanical/suspension issues need attention, along with new wheels and so on. We plan for the whole interior to be re-trimmed except for the tidy boot area, unmarked dash and lovely wooden steering wheel (the wheel was wrapped in a genuine vinyl cover which I removed and will have listed for sale in the classified section shortly). Thanks for starting such a great forum as I've been reading it over the last few days - I've certainly obtained a wealth of information, hints, and tips, and will do what I can to share as well. Cheers XYZ Quote
chris240 Posted January 22, 2016 Posted January 22, 2016 Welcome.. Well, lets see it ! Oh yeah you dont 'have" to say the wife and I bought it...we all know its yours !! gav240z 1 Quote
Moderators PB260Z Posted January 23, 2016 Moderators Posted January 23, 2016 Welcome Sounds like a good purchase, love the 2+2's. And as Chris said, post up a photo or two. Cheers PB Quote
XYZ Posted January 24, 2016 Author Posted January 24, 2016 Thanks for your interest Chris and PB260Z, Chris, oddly enough it was my wife who was the driving force behind the purchase! I'd never even realised these Datsuns existed til she showed me one several months ago for sale online. My wife was after a Volvo P1800, then changed her mind when she saw the Z's (good call!). I also really liked the look of the Z's as well so we agreed to get one to restore to our tastes. We're thinking pearl white exterior, dark tint and those 'wire style' BBS mag wheels in silver and 15" or 16" (not sure of the name). Interior wise, we're thinking seats retrimmed in charcoal/black leather with white stitching and a similar theme for the door trims and centre console. The dash, gauges and wheel are all perfect so won't be redone. I'll need to install air con as well. The car will need an entire rubber kit as they are perished and actually leaking from somewhere near the top of the DS and PS kick panels. Chrome trim is fantastic on the outside. Bumpers will need to be rechromed though. My mechanic has been battling with some electrical gremlins and has replaced some suspension bushes and a few minor underbody fastening issues with the gearbox (I had him cut down the foot long gear stick to a shorter length). It's got a 2.8 litre EFI engine with a 5 speed, which I just had mod-plated the other day (being a legal requirement here in QLD). Performance was just adequate, so I'm having him tune the engine to extract some more. PB, thanks - we got it with a RWC and rego, so a bonus there really. 2+2 was needed as I'll sometimes need to cart my son around. I'm 6'2" and have gone for a drive in the back seat which is surprisingly comfortable, notwithstanding the fumes and the very slight diff whine. It's just a fun car to drive and they look fantastic. I'll take some photos once I've got it back from the mechanics. Cheers Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.