Watanabe 16x8 +0 AS NEW with tyres Melbourne

Man, I just fitted my new wats I bought here and they are just touching on the willwood caliper:(( barely but there's s slight rubbing...literally less than 5mm

Any suggestions??? I love them but f%#@ this is annoying.

Make sure it is not a stick on wheel weight rubbing, get under there and look while you spin the wheel. 

Man, I just fitted my new wats I bought here and they are just touching on the willwood caliper:(( barely but there's s slight rubbing...literally less than 5mm

Any suggestions??? I love them but f%#@ this is annoying.

Can you run a very slim spacer?  Or is there enough meat on the Caliper to be able to lightly shave?  Just a thought.

Can you run a very slim spacer?  Or is there enough meat on the Caliper to be able to lightly shave?  Just a thought.

Yeah pretty much my exact line of thought at the moment. Am hoping to go 3 mm or 5 mm spacer for now, then see if shaving a tad off the willwoods would suffice... The spacer should be OK as it's very minimal and can still use the current studs.. Bloody cars. One step forwards, two steps backwards!!!

One step forwards, two steps backwards!!!  I know the feeling so well but fortunately I can fix it for you just pm your bank details I'll do a transfer arrange transport to collect the wheels and your problem will be solved. :)

In the unlikely event that happens I still may be able to help, while I'm not familliar with Willwoods I had a similar issue when I upgraded front brakes, I found the outer edge of the calipers (where fortunately there was plenty of metal) fouling wheels when fitted with new pads so I ground off 3-5mm from the extreme edges to allow clearence (stick on wheel weight placement is critical here) as the pads wear so the clearence increases.

In the absence of pics I don't know where your clearence issue is but if it's at either end of the calliper you may be able to remove some metal to allow fitment of wheels (as I did) but if it's all the way across the top I would be a bit more concerned and would seek professional advice but you might be able to take a bit from the calliper and machine a bit off the inside of the wheel but this is where you may need to take advice from the wheel manufacturer because the last thing you need is for front wheels to fail.

When I bought the Zed it came with after market wheels and 5mm spacers on the front to allow caliper clearence but with stock studs there was barely two threads of cover which was really inviting trouble and quickly remidied, if your seriously considering using spacers don't lose sight of the fact that for very 1mm of clearance you create on the inside there is 1mm less clearence on the outside and from experience in running 16x8 wheels on a Zed I know guard clearence is critical.

Edited by TT Aero

One step forwards, two steps backwards!!! I know the feeling so well but fortunately I can fix it for you just pm your bank details I'll do a transfer arrange transport to collect the wheels and your problem will be solved. :)

In the unlikely event that happens I still may be able to help, while I'm not familliar with Willwoods I had a similar issue when I upgraded front brakes, I found the outer edge of the calipers (where fortunately there was plenty of metal) fouling wheels when fitted with new pads so I ground off 3-5mm from the extreme edges to allow clearence (stick on wheel weight placement is critical here) as the pads wear so the clearence increases.

In the absence of pics I don't know where your clearence issue is but if it's at either end of the calliper you may be able to remove some metal to allow fitment of wheels (as I did) but if it's all the way across the top I would be a bit more concerned and would seek professional advice but you might be able to take a bit from the calliper and machine a bit off the inside of the wheel but this is where you may need to take advice from the wheel manufacturer because the last thing you need is for front wheels to fail.

When I bought the Zed it came with after market wheels and 5mm spacers on the front to allow caliper clearence but with stock studs there was barely two threads of cover which was really inviting trouble and quickly remidied, if your seriously considering using spacers don't lose sight of the fact that for very 1mm of clearance you create on the inside there is 1mm less clearence on the outside and from experience in running 16x8 wheels on a Zed I know guard clearence is critical.

Ha, youll be the first in line if I do decide to re-list them due to clearance. From my calculations I have almost 10mm inside the guards currently, so am aiming for 3 or 5 mm spacers until I do machine the calipers to clear. So your z using 5mm spacers greatly reduced your stud length huh? Id hoped I wouldnt need to get longer ones, but I agree you dont want limited thread and a wheel come flying off!!

Edited by gav240z

Ha, youll be the first in line if I do decide to re-list them due to clearance. From my calculations I have almost 10mm inside the guards currently, so am aiming for 3 or 5 mm spacers until I do machine the calipers to clear. So your z using 5mm spacers greatly reduced your stud length huh? Id hoped I wouldnt need to get longer ones, but I agree you dont want limited thread and a wheel come flying off!!

First in line sounds good.

The stud issue I had was caused by a combination of non standard rotors and the spacer.  I bought long studs from Repco but they are available in eBay as are spacers, I had them cut down to the length required for my situation. 

If you can change a wheel then you can change studs, they are a splined press fit and can be removed and replaced easily with a hammer and large centre punch.

• 1 month later...

So quick solution for the time being.... Bought a set of 4mm spacers to clear the brakes until my mechanic can look at milling the caliper hats 2-3mm. My next question is does anyone know the correct centre cap size for the 240z or does it depend on the rims your running. I know the simple solution would be grab a tape measure, but im currently overseas and have found some Wat caps for $100 but unsure of the size I should aim for??

• Moderators

So quick solution for the time being.... Bought a set of 4mm spacers to clear the brakes until my mechanic can look at milling the caliper hats 2-3mm. My next question is does anyone know the correct centre cap size for the 240z or does it depend on the rims your running.

Hi

Definitely depends on the rims, but usually around 50mm.

Or are you refering to the Hub Centre Bore size ? - that is 73mm on an S30

Cheers

PB