New member from Melbourne's south

Hey guys, great to join your club. I am new member but dont have a Z. I do have a nice Holden 6.0l SSV ute, but i am in love with 240z's and have wanted one for about the last 15 years. Also my missus is real keen on 370z's so that will be her next car, but we have been saying that for 2 years now, haha. We need to spend our money on our investments for the time being, but it is like a main mission in life to buy myself a 240z, i seem to spend every weekend surfing the internet just looking and drooling at them but i need the real thing in my own garage. In particular i love the icehound 240z, and that is exactly how i would do my car, most beautiful car i have ever seen. It would be very cool also to have that parked next to my girlfriends future 370.

Welcome Kohan,

Oh how I can relate to you in wanting a zed ...... Not long after getting my licence and having a 180B SSS which I did a lot of work on it and ended up being a very fast car. But then...... I saw a nice zed and from then on that's what I always wanted, a 240Z. Well about 20 years laters later even though not a 240 but a 260 two seater and I love it and even though there has been a lot of work done to it I still have plenty of plans for it. My wife loves the 350's, we took one for a drive the other week and it's funny how they have a very similar feel to my 1975 260Z just didn't perform anywhere near as well but still not bad.

Anyway will leave you to it and I hope your 240Z is not too far away for you.

• Administrators

In particular i love the icehound 240z, and that is exactly how i would do my car, most beautiful car i have ever seen.

I had to Google what an Icehound 240z was, whilst it is a nice looking 240z and looks relatively period correct. The black paint is not something early S30z's ever came with and the front spoilers I see lots of S30z's in the US wearing don't appeal to me, I think I loathe them because my 75 260z 2+2 I had years ago had 1 and it would always catch on driveways and car park bollards etc.. Being fiberglass it would crack and I had to patch it up a couple of times. Basically a lot of hassle. But I also find they detract from the nice lines of the original car, so prefer more subtle lip spoilers that tend to retain the lower valance piece.

You may find when you finally get an S30z your tastes change and you're ideal 240/260z will look a bit different. I know that over the years I've gone from liking really modified ones to liking the original and period correct look more and more. There is endless debate about this on the forums.

Anyhow, remember it's always better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission. A good S30z may well be an investment anyway if the price changes I've seen over the last couple of years are anything to go by.

I hear you with the whole originality thing. My ute is stock and the 66 Holden is stock, and well I love nice cars to be stock, however I also believe that body panels can be changed over tastefully and like the icehound 240z, it is the best car I have ever laid eyes on, better than any etype or Lamborghini miura. I was originally planning my on turning it into Shelby Daytona sort of a car with a big American v8 and widebody rear with brushed metal exterior. Then I was thinking modern jap with turbo, but now I would leave it with original motor but it does need that front spoiler for my tastes. I looking at 260's as well but there is something a little more enticing having the car that started it all.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum Kohan,

Quite a few members wanted a zed after their friends had one (myself included!) and we had to get one after that. When I started to look for one I almost bought a car from a wrecker that looked like it had chassis damage; some panel gaps didn't look right and that was when I wasn't that knowledgeable about chassis and mechanicals. Luckily I bought one that was almost full of bog! haha Its all good though; works out well in the end.