260z standard bump stop travel vs coilover

Gee260

hi

i am looking at installing coil over and to get them registered in my car so they are legal (through regency i live in sa)

i need to prove i have a minimum of 66% of my standard suspension travel.

i would measure my own car but seeing it is stripped the weight is different so cant get an accurate reading.

so i am wondering if anyone has pictures or spec of what the travel of the stock suspension is

i am told to measure this u take the measure from centre of the hub to lip of the guard when sitting on flat level ground and then jack the wheel up or take the spring off so the wheel goes al the way up to the bump stop and remeasure from centre of wheel to lip of the guard and the difference is the travel i need to be 66% of when i do the same test with the coil overs.

any information would be much appreciated thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I would imagine a simple way of determining the suspension travel in your case (stripped car) would be to measure the total length of the exposed strut shaft, minus the thickness of the bump stop and whatever goes into the strut top.

From there, your coil over total shock travel would need to be at least 66% of that?

The measured height from hub to wheel arch should be irrelevant in that instance because the relationship between the hub-arch measurement will be the same ratio once the coil over is fitted.

But yea, as was said by 44014, just wind them up for rego.

Is what they really mean, 66% of original ride height?

Bump is the action of the wheel going upwards, ie inside the guards, as a consequence, the undercarriage/chassis will then get closer to the ground.

The registration authourities will be more concerned with minimum ride heights, but just try to confuse you with bump requirements

Let us know the outcome!

... i am told to measure this ...

Who told you? Someone from the Dept, an approving engineer, your sister's ex-boyfriend's best mate's mate...?

The method you describe only measures the upward travel, not the full travel. If it is a requirement then you need to obtain a copy and a written instruction on how it is measured. If you don't do these things in a formal manner you may find it to be an expensive waste of time and money.

PS. Ever thought of becoming a Donating Member?

I applied with the department of transport to do a viechel modification and in there approval it states the requirements I need to meet one of which states my suspension travel shall be no less that 2/3 of the origonal orm designed suspension (66%). I then spoke to the engineer I have choosen and recommended. By department of transport and that's how he said I have to prove it. And yea I wil become a doña ring memebwr in the near future regards.

There are no factory measurements documented.

To prove what you are wanting to do ( fitting height adjustable suspension, by way of threaded collars with locking rings, retaining the original design, just show them plenty of pictures of standard cars ( heaps on the nets) ie sales brochures etc, showing side view, and then,

Show pics of your car, set at an appropriate ride height.

Ask them, once they seen pics, " is this OK?

Then lower the lock rings later on

I don't think the Dept is on about ride height, it's probably more about coil bind on the springs - and conversely remaining tension on full drop. I can't find my manual at the moment but I'm sure it has cross-section views of the suspension (front and rear). If so, you might be able with a protractor to pick up an angle of the lower control arm (transverse link). From that you could fit a control arm to the same angle (inclinometer) and then calculate the distance to the guard lip. Document it all to show the engineer.

I think you will find it difficult to find a member here who hasn't played with springs and ride heights, plus any OEM car may have sagging spring after 40 years.

If I can find my manual I'll have a go at identifying the control arm angle

I am hoping that taking photos of the original struts and the coil overs will hopefully do I will have another talk with my engineer. I haven't even looked at the struts I have they might have different springs on them ha. I knw they a fairly seized as they have zero movement ha.

Thank you all for your help and if you can find it in your manual it would be much appreciated