Door Skins from All ZParts ?

warrenz

Hi There,

I am searching for the best option to repair the rust in the lower sections of both my doors.

Option 1 was to but the rust repair sections for the lower door panels from Tabco or Victoria British in the US @ approx $40 each. There must be a rush on LH doors and both only have panels for RH doors in stock with no ETA on the LH side.

Next I called All ZParts in Sydney and they have full skins in stock for $250 each. Cheaper than Z Parts here in Melb, they are $310.

But I have heard stories around that some of the skins available do not fit that well ie not wide enough.

Has anyone used the door skins from All Zparts ?

Has anyone had the bottom part fabricated and installed, if so what was the price?

Cheers

Warren

Warren,

I got a skin from allzpatrs syd. Warren zworx fitted it. I think the job warren did was ok but the skin was not wide enough and at the front end i have about an extra 3-4mm gap between front panel n door. If i ever do it again i'll buy the section along the bottom n have it fitted.

Before you make any purchases let me make a phone call. I might be able to get you a RH 240 door with no rust for less than 300.

Sulio

• Administrators

You should speak to Nigel Nr240 see if he can get the details on the guy who fabricated his doors. I'll definately use him after seeing the quality of Nigel's car. :D

Zedophile,

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I think the 240 doors are the same as the early, (ie 74), 260 2 seaters. After that the locking mechanism is different and I belive the door might also be slightly different.

I have left a message with the bloke that I know with a RHD. I should know what the situation is by tonight. Will post my findings ASAP.

Cheers

Sulio

I dont know the exact details but there are two different 240 doors (think its just the openinh mec. thats different then thers the late (around76) 260 doors but i think there is a cross over somewere in the middle from the 240 to 260 doors

i think?

Ash

I can get RHD no rust for $350. My skin cost me 250 and another 200 to be fitted and I'm still unsatisfied so I think 350 is a good price. I am going to check it out on Monday. If he has'nt dinted it since I last looked at it a year ago I'll grab it. Will post further details when I pick it up and you fellas can check it out for yourselves and decide wether it suits either of you otherwise I might just add this to my little collection for my next car.

This bloke has a complete 240 rust free that has been resprayed, (red), but he has failed to assemble the interior for which he has new seals, ie window seals etc.

Whilst I'm there I will make him an offer on the car. This car has been sitting in a workshop for about 10 years and I have been trying to buy it for about 3 years. hmmm...it will be an interesting visit.

cheers

sulio

Jeez we've veird away from the initial topic of door skins, (sorry warren), but one last note and question for this thread Zedophile. I checked out those hyperfangs and noticed the offset for them is 20mm and 40mm drilled PCD to suit. You would need adapters for these.

Sulio

post-4-144023468088_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have bitten the bullet and purchased 2 new door skins and a RH floor pan from AllZparts, arrived today.

They said they changed the pressing a while back after complaints about the fit and not enough wrap around. They are pressed in Sydney. So hopefully will be OK.

I did a quick check of the width and it seems the same as the door on the car.

I was impressed with delivery and cost, next day and $30 delivery all up. In total over $100 cheaper than Zspares and it was delivered to my door.

Holidays next week, so will remove old skins and see what the frame looks like underneath.

Progressing slowly.

Warren

• 1 month later...

how much were the door skins? do they fit ok? are they are to fit?

i'm thinking of just grinding out the rust at the bottom of my doors and bogging it then spraying the bottom bit of the doors and rest of the car black, just because with parking my car in some semi dodgy places i dont wanna have a really nice paint job and dont want to pay to get new door skins painted to match the current paint nicely. either way i will eventually need new skins or something as there is a fair bit of rust higher up on the drivers door...

can you see any problem with bogging the bottom bit for (hopefully only) a few years? as your old doors had been bogged just wondering if you think it had caused a huge build up of moisture and wrecked the other bit? i guess i could always leave speed (drainage) holes :D

• Administrators

Looks like a good job there doing there Warren I'll be very interested in how well everything lines up once on the car.

Evan I know it can be depressing to look at rust on your car, but perhaps do as I am and attend to the rest of the car first. It's way to easy to scratch paint work especially when your working in and around a car. Fix up the interior and mechanical things first then attend to the body work last.

Rust adds character :D .

it sure does :D but instead of having flaking green paint with brown behind it (And white from where wax has gotten stuck in there) i may as well grind it down and put bog in there and spray it black, then have a black stripe higher up on the door like sulio does, i think it will make it look alot cleaner...but this is only something i'll do if i get time, and i have a few things on my list that i am slowly working on, the lights are on hold because of the current project which i'll put up pics of soon 8)

For a few of the minor holes that I had on the doors, we used a bit of gal plate and welded it as a patch to the hole that we cut out to get rid of the rust. At least then the bog will only be to smooth things out rather than to fill the hole, if you know what I mean.

Check out http://240z.drago.com.au/?p=34 for pics.

Hi Evan,

My doors where bogged by PO sometime before 2001 and it was my daily driver, even in the rain, for 4 years before I decided it was time to start work on the body.

So you could get away with it for a while.

The skins have not been fitted yet as I have been busy with other non 240Z things. I intend to get the skins fitted by a professional, hopefully soon.

Cheers

Warren

hey, thanks for the replies! i think i will bog them when i have time just as a tempary thing, does anyone think leaving small holes through the bog would help it to not hold in as much moisture? or would it allow condensation to get in? i dont really care if there are holes as you can't really see them, its more the lumps and bits of paint missing :cry: