Screwed my clutch?

ok im not sure about the zeds throw out bearing but most cars are press on sorry for the miss information zedevan ! i didnt realise zeds have a complete unit, thanx for the correction, zeddophile ! :oops: - chris.

ps - id probably take up rod f's offer of the input shaft, as its the most accurate way to do allign it !

i dont really get what these tools are for aligning, so far i've just asked my dad what to do next he tells me and then i go back and ask again lol! hence y i'm asking questions, so yeah any tools/help would be great. i noticed when lowered the gearbox how much it wanted to rotate, and was thinking it wouldn't be much help to get back the way it was, is this what having another input shaft helps with or something else?

Rod your help would be great, but dont want to waste your time so might just see how i go first :S at this stage it looks like i wont get a chance to put it back in till sunday week, so the 25th, could you pm me your number and i'll give you a call in regards to picking up the thingy sometime :D

• Administrators

Hey Evan the alignment tool you mention is used to help you when putting the gearbox back in.

Basically it centers the clutch itself so when you are under the car trying to put the box back in you don't go nuts like I did without one.

They often include a small plastic one with clutch kits. I would recommend using one especially if your the only person doing the work.

Trying to insert a gearbox for over an hour under the car is hard work lol. Trust me!

lowering the gearbox with it twisting was nealy painful enough

i can get a hand from family members so hopefully i wont b stuck there for an hour trying to balance it, although i do plan on either borrowing the thing from rod or making one up with a broom handle which sounds pretty classy lol

classy, but believe me it works! worst part of putting gearboxes back in is trying to get the angle right while rotating either the motor or output of the gearbox to get the splines to line up.... Thats when its good doing a rangie gearbox, stick it in gear, lock the transfer case, and you have a big handle at the pushing end to turn it over by! From memory, my zed gearbox didn't have anything sticking out the back, so you'll need to stick it in gear, possibly slide the tailshaft back on temporarily to help stop it turning, and get someone to turn the motor over slowly with a ratchet on the harmonic balancer, while you try to push it in!

hey mate, dont force it in or let the gearbox hang halfway out without a jack under it either while youre trying to slot the box into the clutch either, or youl warp the clutch plate, and dont try to "clamp" up the gap between the bellhousing and engine block with the bolts! :shock:

it should push home with a bit of wriggling if youve got the clutch correctly aligned. take youre time mate youl get it ! -chris.

thanks for the tips, this now isn't going to be done till i get back from holidays, hopefully the day after although i assume i'll have to help clean up the caravan etc instead :( then have a wedding the weekend after, so i really should just do it one weeknight, ohwell, the bus is going alright

gio called me today coz they stuff up my address or something, so i asked about an engine conversion again, and they said its fine as long as its engineered, and it would b covered under my $100 extra excess fee for having modified wheels, so i think they are nut cases. i didn't ask if it had to be a nissan engine though, i just said, i'm looking at putting in a newer engine that was never offered as an option, most likely a turbo one, but either way it will have more power, although it will be the same capacity or less and the same type, ie straight 6, and thats what they said, so slightly not what they said last time, i think i'll just leave it until its done, if it ever is! still have a few other things i'd like to do with my money first and have to decide which engine, then find one! i'd like vvti for or a neo engine for the extra torque, although i'm thinking for the extra money this isn't worth it over other engine mods that could be done instead? time for another thread i guess or reading on skylinesaustralia!

• 2 weeks later...

well i finally got off my ass/had time to put the clutch and gearbox back in. i feel like a jackass as i was sitting there for ages turning the output of the gearbox wtih it in neutral as tested that it turned the front spline before lifting it up and it did, but obviously was just the fluid in the gearbox or whatever :(

i'm going to change the gearbox oil as its basically empty anyway, however i looked in the service manual thing i have and it says to use the recommended oil, which doesn't really help me know which sort i need to get lol, so any help with that would be great!

actully just looked up 260z's on the castrol website so will use what it recommends :D so hopefully i have time after work tomorrow to finish it off and take the car for a spin, then just have my fd seats to put in :D and hopefully rims soon and rear spoiler :D

be carefull with the grade that they recommend. too thick = sincro and dog collar grind when cold and/or in winter months and renders your box due for replacements much much sooner than anyone would like.

Ive had recommended and used (in a different car however a FWD mitsi) straight motor oil but was a multigrade 20w70w now even on the coldest mornings i can change briskly and when it warms up even quicker. It all depends on the 'drag' the oil creates on the rotating assy, heaps with 90w oil, which is probly what you found when rotating the out shaft when in neutral.

just my 2c

nato

yeah...the one they recommended on the website is for auto transmisions? i dont really get that at all...should i drain it out and go get other stuff or ?

i finally drove my car again today and it works :D now have the passenger side seat out and am playing with the mounts for the FD seats, seems pretty easy, i'll take some pics and post up a how to, but the guy on classiczcars really says it all, although doesn't have pictures of the whole process, but once u've got it infront of you it seems pretty easy...i hope

thanks to everyone who has helped, specially Rod for the use of his shaft ;) lol

the pun was intended, lol

got the seats in, they are heaps more supportive, i dont see anyway to get them sitting at the stock seats height very easily, not that they are uncomfortably high, and are probably a better height for me as i'm kinda short. the only thing thats annoying me is that the drivers seat isn't completely centered on the steering wheel, so will have to elongate some holes to correct this