Repairing Bumpy Surface Finish?

260DET

Z31 project race car. As part of the process of filling in the targa top openings a boat fairing finish was used and it worked well, unfortunately the unskilled finishing person did a bumpy job which needs to be fixed. Of course bog could be used but is there anything else suitable that can be used over the paint or fairing finish to build up the hollows? Something lighter and smoother than bog that be skimmed on with a straight edge.

And how to finish, roof top multiple curves are tricky as I found out. Maybe a custom made long board with sanding strip paper underneath? Have rotary and orbital sanders, no good. 

Edited by 260DET

Let me get this straight Dickie: The Targa-top openings were filled (somehow) and then Boat Fairing - which is an Epoxy - was used to fill in the area and make it smoother, yes?
Epoxy is more or less the same weight as polyester filler.
And yet, you don't want to use a skim of polyester filler?
Am I missing something?

Buy yourself a few wooden rulers of varying lengths (300mm, 400mm & 600mm) and wrap your 80-grit sanding paper around them.
It'll follow the curve of the roof without creating divets.
I have a professional 'Splining Kit' for this job, but the rulers will produce a similar outcome.

Edited by Léon

Are we talking a few mm or a few inches ?

And why the dislike for bog ? It is designed for filling bodies, get a nice lightweight, easy sanding one.....

A long straight board with coarse sandpaper, kept moving in random directions, should straighten it up.

Edited by 1600dave

A mm or two, geez, I'm not full retard yet. The boat fairing filler is a polyester resin glass balloon mix, it's very light and sands easily, too easily, great for bulk filling which was necessary to get a decent looking shape. Might use it again but finishing is the big problem, getting the contour and surface finish right.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, Léon said:

Let me get this straight Dickie: The Targa-top openings were filled (somehow) and then Boat Fairing - which is an Epoxy - was used to fill in the area and make it smoother, yes?
Epoxy is more or less the same weight as polyester filler.
And yet, you don't want to use a skim of polyester filler?
Am I missing something?

Buy yourself a few wooden rulers of varying lengths (300mm, 400mm & 600mm) and wrap your 80-grit sanding paper around them.
It'll follow the curve of the roof without creating divets.
I have a professional 'Splining Kit' for this job, but the rulers will produce a similar outcome.

So the flat of the ruler is used and its bent to the shape? That sounds like an idea, thanks. Any recommendation as to what brands of ebay filler to use? They all sound the same in the adverts.

Edited by 260DET