Gearbox conversion help

scott

Have you got a picture of the housings for that box, that is generally the easiest way to tell what it is, for me anyway.

Looking at the internals it looks like a five speed to me.

I'm no expert but it looks the same as my old 260z box only better, Supposedly fully rebuilt but looked like it was found at the bottom of the ocean. Dat2kman or PMC are experts on this.

To be certain you could swap the front mainshaft & countershaft bearings from the 260 gearset to the RB gearset, enlarge the shift rod holes and see if it slides together (the anti rattle shim will bind on the L series bell housing inner face, kinda looks like a power saw blade) or leave the shim off. If it does get the bearing holes enlarged and the inner face plunge cut to suit RB sizings. Stuart Wilkins motorsport has all the bearings, syncros, seals in stock.

I did an RB20det close ratio rebuild a not too long ago, it's so much better than the original boxes!

There Were also the trusty 1600, 180b, 200b and a couple more which came with a factory 4 speed...........

Yeah obviously, but what are the chances of someone going to the effort of putting one in a zed?

Yeah obviously, but what are the chances of someone going to the effort of putting one in a zed?

Normal people no, not really, but I have pulled 2 4 speeds from them, one an early series the other with customised tailshaft an g/box crossmember,

not saying they came out with them, but there are many others about,

just point of interest.

I myself put a 240k box and l24 from a K into a stationwagon as its the only motor and box I had at the time.

Had to swap sumps and mod the oil pickup but not a big deal by any stretch..

So i ran around trying to find a machine shop that could do it today. First 2 couldn't then the 3rd wanted around $500+ and the following said 2/3 hours at $80/$100 a hour but their machiniest is away on compo atm. $500 sounds way to step and then next one isn't so bad. What have people paid for there work?