Correct Amp Rating For 1976 260Z Fusible Links.

Bobby

After much searching on the internet I have found many conflicting figures for the correct amp ratings for my "fusible links."

My workshop manual says I have three and the colours are Brown , Green and Black.

My car still has the black and green ones but where the brown should be a piece of blue wire has been soldered in

The workshop manual also gives the wire area as

Black = 1.25 sq.mm,

Green= 0.5 sq.mm

Brown= 0.3 sq.mm

I have seen where some people say that red and brown are the same but I have seen red listed as 0.69 sq.mm so they can't be the same.

Does anyone know for sure(not guessing or told by a mate) what the correct amp ratings are for these fusible links?

I wish to replace my ugly/distorted housing with the black and green links and put in three modern units with the correct rating fuses.

Thanks.

This seems to be a very elusive piece of information, not only for S30's, but other cars like RX7's.

The label on Linton's fusible link cover will be the best answer, when he gets home.

The table on this page on the atlanticz.ca site is claimed to be a good reference, but it doesn't give the rating for the brown fusible link. My guess, based on the cross-sectional area, would be 25A or 30A.

post-101663-0-34879000-1482796923_thumb.jpg

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

Edited by GongZ

Thanks to both Linton and GongZ.

My car did not have a cover over the black and green and the one that should be brown just has a bit of blue wire soldered in.

I feel you are both on the mark with the brown fusible link being 25 or 30 amps as it is the smallest wire.

Everything I have read says the green is 40 and the black is 80.(whereas Linton says the black is 60)

I wrote to ZCar Depot in America but they didn't seem to know as all they did was refer me to the fusible links they sell which do not have any amp rating.

Hello Linton now you are confusing me.

I have only ever seen the green listed as 40 and the black listed as 80 amps.(The website that GongZ had the link to plus others I have seen)

So the fact that the brown wire is 0.3 sqmm (the smallest of the 3) you would expect it to be 25 or 30 as GongZ had suggested.

At the end of the day the only time you should ever blow one of these would be through a major event such as a crash severing wires. The fuses are all designed to protect the individual circuits.

Do you mind if I ask what you used to replace your fusible links?

Thanks again for your time and patience with me.

ok apologies to all, specially Bobby, relying on an old brain instead of having a look. Bobby I cant find the actual amps it was years ago I changed from fusible links, 30 40 and 80 are most likely correct. how ever I am using 40 60 and 80.

Now that I have looked at how I changed the wires I need to redo it and use correct size wire into the the fuses, so thanks for the push to go and have a look. There was no cover that I said it had, I now also realise that, so foot in mouth syndrome again.

the fuse block is VN holden from the local wrecker.

post-101708-0-26962300-1482884812_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-74451200-1482884852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Linton

Hi Linton,

Assuming that those photos are the 'before' and 'after' pics of your car - I think the previous owner must have already modified the set up.

That doesn't look like the original fusible links for a 260Z to me. They usually look like this;

post-24-144023660335_thumb.jpg post-24-144023660321_thumb.jpg

These are pictures of Lynton's (with a 'y') car from this topic;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/8252-early-vs-late-260z-fusible-links/

yes they are before and after, I have 2 cars available for reference, the green car unknown year is the same as mine. Mine is 2/76 different doors etc. the red one is 11/76 this car has the same fuse set up that you have, the poor quality photo in my previous post is from the green car. Second photo in this post is mine originally as you can see they are the same ,,more confusion LOL

post-101708-0-86963100-1482889035_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-95928600-1482889354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Linton