filter options and thoughts for triple sidedraughts

Tj

So my new motor is pretty much ready to drop in and once the triple dcoe's are given a clean bill of health, all that'll be left is to choose some filters.

It's important to note that I do not want to run without filters. My Zed is my daily and I work in a quarry so they'll fill up with dust quicksmart. For the same reason I'd like washable filters.

I've looked at K&Ns and dear lord they are expensive. I'm sure they're good but bloody hell!

Ram-flo filters seem cheaper (and I'd say they're my yard stick budget-wise) but I know nothing about them. Are they a washable element? They do look kinda cool though.

I've seen redline ones around too but they look a little cheap. Am I right in that observation?

I know there's the foam socks (dad and I run em on our khanacross car) but they make a bit of a mess and look grubby pretty quickly.

Are there any other options out there?

Personally, I would use the unifilter socks with the second filter over the top that encloses all three (if still available) this should keep the dust out and also keep the socks pretty clean with only the outer filter needing to be cleaned more often.

I'm pretty sure if you google unifilter you shopuld find the info you need. But dirty filters is pretty easy to live with compared to a buggered engine.

I found some rather nice looking units from pipercross, check em out;

http://www.pipercross.net/competition/products_px300.asp

They also make just your average foam socks (also in double sized, as in one big oval sock per carb) but there's other local manufacturers of stuff like that.

I'll look into them, price seems ok, roughly $70 per set consisting of backing plate and foam filter. Shipping might be the kick in the pants but we'll see.

I know both Revolution Racegear and Fabre stock Pipercross here in Sydney but I know from past experience that RR charge like there's no tomorrow, ebay looks like the go.

Depending on how crafty you want to be you could make something like this (see below). This set up is on a 240Z that has been doing the rounds in Melbourne for a while now... This way you can be cool and run velocity stacks 8)

241a71z.jpg

dust will kill your new engine very quickly so spend the money on the K&N, preferably in a paper filter element.  Ramflow = rock stopper!!!! 

Recently saw an improvement in performance, albeit small, on R33 turbo by replacing a HKS foam element with K&N pod.

Depending on how crafty you want to be you could make something like this (see below). This set up is on a 240Z that has been doing the rounds in Melbourne for a while now... This way you can be cool and run velocity stacks 8)

241a71z.jpg

Thats Len Brennans setup, He rebuilt the motor approx 8yrs ago and has run that perspex box with no filter since then. His car is only used rarely for shows/events. Looks damn cool, and goes hard too!

I second the double filter setup, especially in that sort of environment. I've used uni filters and they shouldn't be too messy as long as you don't over oil them.