cd player

Huw

just a quickie...

is anyone familar with how to wire a modern cd player into a zed? was going to pay someone to do it but i feel like having a crack first...

Just confused because I have red wire=power and blackis ground but there is also yellow for ign or something etc...

any suggestions?

Huw

do you have a multimeter? as i'd double check that red actully is what you think it is. and play around with what voltage you get when you do different things on the yellow wire

i put a cd player into a friends car and what appeared to be ground and the multimeter confirmed ended up being the lights, so luckily it just kept blowing fuses when the lights were turned on and i just grounded the player straight to the car body when i realised.

I have never done a sound system upgrade on a Zed but there should be about 12 wires for the stock tape deck. 8 for the speaker pos/negs (or does the 260 only have 2 speakers), 1 for the main power, 1 for ground, 1 for the aerial, and that orange one you speak of would go to the ignition like you said so that the head unit will turn on when the car is on. I think that'd be all of them unless if i forgot some.

Then you just get the massive diagram which the modern head unit hopefully came with and join the wires from the new one to the ones which went to the stock deck. Except on the new one you wont need to connect the 'remote' wire and a few other crazy wires which are needed for things like sub amps etc.

I plan to mount a headunit in the glove box of my 280zx in the near future but am concentrating of makng the car start first.

Hi

I have a JVC CD player/radio in mine and there are 2 power leads.

One connects to permanent power and the other conects to the ignition so you only get power when the ignition is on acc or on.

The reason you have 2 is that there needs to be power to the unit all the time to retain the memory settings for the preset radio stations if you have a radio in it and the clock.

If you have them the wrong way round it will still work but everytime you turn the ignition off you lose all the presets and the clock goes back to 12:00. You may blow the fuse as the current to run the unit is much more than is needed to maintain the presets

In the Zed you should already have a power lead from the ignition where the original radio was installed and you can pick up permanent power from around the fuse panel, but put a separate smaller (250mA) fuse in the line.

If it has a radio you will also have a wire for the power aerial.

You will definitely need a multi meter.

Where abouts are you, it its not too far away happy to help.

Cheers

Warren