Recommended wheel alignment places

zedevan

Wasn't sure where i should put this.

but i'm hoping someone can recommend a good place to get an alignment done near the city (melbourne), preferably north melb.

There is a tyrepower i'm currently thinking of taking it to purely coz its close to work, but i'm sure there would be places that are more specilists than this?

I have just used Tyrepower in North Melbourne for new tyres and wheel alignment on  both my 240Z and my 350Z.

The wheel alignment was fine, seemed to know what he was talking about, especially for the 350Z as there was an issue with the set up on the 2003/2004 models that made the tyres wear unevenly and create noise. They do a lot of work for City Nissan 350Z's.

Was able to stand and talk to him and watch the settings on the computer change.

Tell him the Warren with the 2 Zeds sent you.

Warren

I have just used Tyrepower in North Melbourne for new tyres and wheel alignment on  both my 240Z and my 350Z.

The wheel alignment was fine, seemed to know what he was talking about, especially for the 350Z as there was an issue with the set up on the 2003/2004 models that made the tyres wear unevenly and create noise. They do a lot of work for City Nissan 350Z's.

Was able to stand and talk to him and watch the settings on the computer change.

Warren

I had my EVO and my friends STI done there after we returned from Sydney. Really friendly bunch.

Another place you should check out is a "All Makes" down on Parsons Street Flemington (a few blocks down from Tyrepower North Melbourne). There's a senior fella there who really knows a lot about suspensions. They are currently restoring a nice Ford Coupe and they've done the custom coilovers(sleeve type) for it too. I had my previous Type R done there a few years back and my daily Corolla Levin. Amazing job. Request for the old chap, I've forgotten his name. Damn if only I still had my documents for the Type R.

• Moderators

I want to learn how to do it on my own; with four jack stands some string, peices of aluminium square tubing and a tape measure.. Alot of racecars seem to be done that way so it must work..

I want to learn how to do it on my own; with four jack stands some string, peices of aluminium square tubing and a tape measure.. Alot of racecars seem to be done that way so it must work..

They would only be checking the alignment and basically looking at adjusting toe at the track, well that's all I have ever done anywhere but on a proper aligner.

To get the set up right the aluminium is cut or marked to suit the alignment initially done on an accurate machine and these are matched at the track.

It is quite easy to do the adjustment on the car for a wheel alignment, where the skill is is in knowing what to adjust the settings to and knowing how to get the right settings for each car, for racing I measure tyre temps across the width of the tyre, measure the tread wear across the face and the edge, look for feathering of the edges, inside and out. I also get my alignment for the race car done with me sitting in it to get the alignment as close as possible to optimum.

I am also of the opinion that these guys go to tech for 4 years to learn about this stuff, and the good mechanics don't stop learning, so they know a lot more about setting up a car than I do.

I know its not close to your work but i would take it to somewhere like centreline or trackside, I haven't taken my car to trackside but have heard good things

http://www.tracksidetyres.com.au/image_03.html

http://www.centrelinesuspension.com.au/

I'll back Craig at trackside race and rally in Kilsyth - we get our racecars done by him, really nice guy with a passion for older cars and it gets aligned SPOT ON.  Not to mention I'd be positive he knows how to set up a Zed, as he does a lot of cars for the historic rally guys.  He's one of the few people I feel okay leaving my car with to have work done.

Some very good information for when i get the zed back on the road - thanks guys

unfortunately i was just wanting to know for my outback :(

I did exactly that thanks warran, that was where i was thinking of going in the first place (as its next to the closest tram stop to my work, lol) but my dad started telling me crap about some places not having as good equipment as others yadda yadda yadda so wanted to make sure i took it to a place that knew what they were doing as it isn't running the factory standard struts anymore

i left the car with them as was ment to b working, and when i got back he ran me through what he found and now its all good, and the car is enjoyable to go around corners in :D